A new heart

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Buffalo Howler, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

Ezekiel 36:26King James Version (KJV)
    26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Can any other religion of the world can make such a promise? Many have tried to come to a deeper understanding or a learned response to be such a promise. Even in Christianity. Its never what you know its who you know.
    This verse to any true believer will be like a tuning fork to his soul. To have Gods heart and Spirit inside of you. For anyone to take this verse seriously you have to ask? "What is wrong with the one I have?" Lets take the commandment from our Lord and compare a few things.
    Jesus said the greatest commandment is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength.
    1. Heart. When we talk about a persons heart what exactly are we talking about? Is it the heart prone to cholesterol? The heart is what responds to love. 1John 4:19
    2. Mind. What are you thinking? Imagine having your thoughts broadcast on YouTube. God knows everyone you have. Hebrews 4:12 The producer of your thought production is from within.
    3. Soul. Someone asked me once what a soul was. I had a hard time answering it. We could say its the redeemable portion of man. Its what the devil wants to steal and what the Lord died to save. Matthew 16:26
    4.Strength. To pick up something requires strength. To understand what I'm saying requires a Him membership.
    God was not created. Everything we need to be must be. If you never look you will never find. Jeremiah 29:13 The Restoration of Gods people! Lord come quickly

2. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Amen Brother Dave! The heart is wicked and it can only be changed by Christ Jesus.

3. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho Moderator Flyway Manager

Can we change our heart by having godly sorrow?

4. Buffalo Howler

No. You must be born again.
    Jeremiah 17:9 Only the unchangeable can. Malachi 3:6
    For someone to understand the gospel you have to come to this.
    1. There was nothing in us worth saving.
    Romans 7:18
    2. We are dead in our sin
    Ephesians 2:1
    It is only because of God's great love that sin is forgiven by the begotten sons blood. John 3:16
    To have an understanding that we have a way to do it apart from that is a grave error. Jesus died alone. Rose alone. Ascended alone. Paul says it this way. Galations 2:20 Those that are in Christ have been crucified with Him. Rose with Him and are seated with Him. A pure heart only comes from God who is pure. Habakkuk 1:13. This is the message of the Messiah. Psalm 73:1, Matthew 5:8

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  5. sdkidaho

Isn't having godly sorrow part of repentance which one would need to be born again?

Not in full (meaning that isn't all one needs), but at least part of the process that is?

6. Buffalo Howler

I'm not sure what kind of Bible commentary you have. Here is one taken from your post above.

"Note: Now, Paul describes some components of “godly sorrow” which make it effective in cleansing us from sin and leading to a true change of heart."

Being sorry will never clean a sinner. Only the blood of Christ can. Hebrews 9:22 We don't become a sinner because we sinned we sin because we're sinners.
    Being a new creation is being born again.
    2 Corinthians 5:17
    Not only are we given a new heart but a new mind.
    1 Corinthians 2 :16
    In my life with a heart of stone the Word of God was a law to obey. Perfect as the law is it is unachievable. Love conquers all. After I was born again the Word of God changed me. The words came alive. I could see Jesus in every page. I have never felt love like this before. The Word became flesh and so did my heart. Oh how I long to see my Lord.

7. dukbill

dukbill Refuge Member

New here, but not to a relationship with Jesus.

Here's one quick passage in the Bible about being saved (below) and what we need to "do" to earn salvation: Nothing. Just accept the sacrifice that was given by God the Father through Jesus His Son, on the cross. He was the sacrifice, we needed, to be in relationship with the Father. He did this because He loved us. Period. You can accept Him wherever you are, at any given time, in ANY situation. Ya don't have to be in a church, or on your knees. You just have to ask.

Ask for forgiveness of sins (we ALL do, and will, sin) and "ask" Jesus into your life. Receive Him due to the grace He's shown us. We could not do enough...ever...to deserve salvation. Working hard, being nice, going to church, being "born in the USA", giving a ton of money to the poor, etc...doesn't matter. It's simply opening up to Him.

Christianity is NOT about following rules, not having fun...or even bashing what others do that we know is opposite our belief. The Bible tells US to "not judge" others. It's not our place. We're not God. We sin...just like every other human being. So who are we to judge? As you grow in your relationship with the Lord, you WANT to change. You'll still sin, but you know there's a difference now.

Ephesians 2:8-9New International Version (NIV)
    8 For it is by grace you have been saved and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

I apologize for jumping in...gotta admit, it's kinda weird for me to do this. I'm the guy who drops an f-bomb if somebody cuts me off with their car...but I love the Lord. I believe in God's grace in my life, otherwise I'd give up.

Now...where are the ducks!

8. Buffalo Howler

Hi dukbill. Glad you found your way here.
    Since the beginning men have been trying to take away from what Jesus did. You know this by what they add to his Name.
    Jesus and ............

dukbill likes this.
  9. sdkidaho

Thank you - I appreciate your reply. Your reply is one of the things I have questions about.

This could entirely be my interpretation, but when I read your response, to me that says: all we have to do is accept Him, and we're done - nothing else is ever required of us no matter what we do the rest of our life, whether we sin or not (if that was possible). Have I interpreted that correctly or have I missed what you meant to say?

10. dukbill

dukbill Refuge Member

Accept Him and done*.

You don't have to (nor can you) "work your way to heaven". By "accepting" Jesus into your life, due to His blood sacrifice a couple thousand years ago, God the Father views you as an "adopted son or daughter" of His. And by the way, you will absolutely sin. A phrase you will hear (and honestly misused a bunch) is "Christians aren't perfect...just forgiven". You'll more-than-likely learn as you grow in your faith, that when you do sin, you feel "distant", or separated from Him. We distant/separate ourselves...He doesn't. He's always there, loving and accepting us. Whoever and whatever we are. Period. The Bible says (loose quote here) "if we make our bed in Hell, He's there". He wants us to be in relationship with Him and learn Who He is. And when you do, you too will know He's real.

*BUT...you would probably notice things are different for you...possibly. Hopefully you'll sense a change in yourself and WANT to learn more/grow more in knowing Who and What this "Jesus thing" is about. Getting into a Bible-believing church body (the "church" is actually folks who follow the Lord...not a building, but of course "churches" are buildings!) would be EXTREMELY beneficial toward learning more about the relationship you just opened up to. We as Christ-Followers are supposed to live a life that speaks to our relationship with God the Father, so basically not the same as folks who don't believe. I fail at this point. I don't doubt my faith, or my salvation, but I'm not the "poster child" for Christians...unfortunately. But that's okay. I know I'm loved perfectly by the Lord.

Hope I made sense and didn't ramble too much! :tu

Pastor likes this.