California Flyway Forum Sponsors

A new tractor

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by lo-base larry, May 18, 2019.

1. lo-base larry

lo-base larry Senior Refuge Member

My son-in- law would like to buy a new tractor to use on their newly puchased piece of property ( 5 acres ). He needs something heavy enough to take all the various add ons for such a small piece of property and not of comercial size. There are several choices and could use some advice from people familiar with such equiptment. Would prefer American made but would consider all opinions. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

2. 7pntail

7pntail Senior Refuge Member

I have a kubota sub compact (BX-25 series). Perfect for small acreages. John Deere makes one as well. It is a little bit higher in price. Main thing, make sure to get one with a bucket. I use it all time.

I purchased the tractor last year. Should have done it 20 years ago. Saves me a bunch of work!

John.

3. The Den

The Den New Member

4. lo-base larry

lo-base larry Senior Refuge Member

Thank you Den, will try and check it out.

5. 7pntail

7pntail Senior Refuge Member

I went to some of their auctions. There was money to be saved, but make sure you know what you are in for. As is, and most went for more than I would have thought.

If you go that route, you will need to haul the tractor home, or hire a third party to do so. Not insurmountable, but an extra cost.

Good luck.

6. Icastnblast

Icastnblast Elite Refuge Member

depends on the ground he has. if its soft ground that allows a long working period than a sub compact might get the job done. Where I live its frickin clay and I have a 1 week window to work ground after rainfall with a kubota L2501 compact. I feel these compact sizes are perfect for ranchette properties as there are a tone of attachments that can be purchased and utilized effectively. a sub compact will limit you. Sometimes I wish I had a 50hp tractor with increased weight capacity on the 3 point and hydraulics at the rear for heavy discs but I get by with my 3 point 6' disc if I plan it accordingly. If your Son in law has money to burn I would recomend checking out if local tractor dealers have harvest leased tractors for sale. these tractors come to you with under 50 hours of use, basically broke in, at a reasonable discount. Around the property my front loader bucket has proven to be the best investment ever. I've oakie rigged "forks" off the bucket to move larger items around, spread gravel, haul the garbage cans up and down my 200 yard driveway.....