A new way to tackle river access issues

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by National Rivers, Jan 15, 2014.

1. National Rivers

National Rivers New Member

Here's an update for those interested in river access and usage :)

This past fall, we conducted surveys and found that people wanted more ways to take action on rivers in their area (no surprise!). Tangible ways for you to make an impact is NOR's focus for 2014, and here's the first release: Sending river law information packets to the government agency (or person) of your choice. What do the packets include? NOR?s groundbreaking resources: the poster & handout (http://www.nationalrivers.org/river-law-handouts.html), Public Rights on Rivers book, and topped off by a NOR letter explaining the urgency of implementing and sharing this information with other law enforcement and locals. Learn more about this option by reading the blog, http://www.nationalrivers.org/river-law-info-packets.html

We made a new page to go with this new option, showing where info packets have been sent. Check it out at http://www.nationalrivers.org/packets-sent.html

It?s a dramatically different approach from what you?ve probably heard before, but if you?re ready for change, take your stand and work with NOR to make it happen. Be empowered--help make rivers in your area and in our nation be "forever free."

Look forward to teaming up!

2. brake man

brake man Senior Refuge Member

When did The Refuge start having groups set up as users? Really??? :scratch

3. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

How about CWA in 2002 for starters.

4. brake man

brake man Senior Refuge Member

What is CWA?

5. 2fowl

2fowl Senior Refuge Member

Some good info.

2Fowl

6. takemrarely

takemrarely Elite Refuge Member

Might I suggest to the OP that an introduction of who he is and the group that he represents, which talks a little about their goals, past, etc might be in order.

"Round here you will find folks a little suspicious of those who come in here offering advice....ever since we let them three Revenoors in and our stills got busted...."

7. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

In reading your site and papers I have a question or two.

What if you build something below the ordinary high water mark? Like say you go into a river bottom that was previously farm land that flooded and constructed levees to make a moist-soil unit. Would the public be able to travel, hunt, camp, etc on this land?

This is what is hanging me up:

8. National Rivers

Absolutely, my apologies for not having this information! I thought I had shared this, but in looking at the posts I've made I have not. "Brake man," my name is Vanessa and I'm a volunteer for NOR. My purpose here is to have conversations, help answer questions, and be part of the community.

So here's an intro to NOR for you. I'll share what NOR does and what information will be helpful to you. The National Organization for Rivers (NOR) is a nonprofit organization that focuses on educating the public about river law and public rights to access and recreate on rivers, and has been working on these issues since 1978. What does NOR seek to do? The main three things are to 1) clarify public river rights on thousands of miles where they are disputed, 2) address public and private land usage along rivers, and 3) to conserve the land along rivers, and keep enough water in rivers to keep them healthy and usable for navigation and fishing. The goal, as the first Act of our US Congress said, is for rivers to be "forever free."

So what should you check out? NOR has a free poster and handout you can download that explains your basic rights, with several court cases for how/why you have those rights. If you are interested, the link for the national poster and handout is http://www.nationalrivers.org/river-law-handouts.html

Though the national handout applies to all states, we are in the process of making handouts and posters for all 50 states that address each state's specific issues. Colorado's handout and poster was recently finished, and can be seen at the link from above. We will keep you posted when other states are finished. Don't wait for these to be completed, again, the national poster and handout (from above) applies to ALL states because of federal law.

If you are interested in a further explanation of your rights, we have a new book that gives you the whole story. It's taken a couple decades to research, write, and have discussions with attorneys and other rivers experts in order for the book to be made. It's the first book that explains why and how the public has rights on rivers. It will change your perspective and understanding about your rights on rivers. If you want to learn more about it, here's a link http://www.nationalrivers.org/why-you-should-get-public-rights-on-rivers.html

We look forward to being part of this community, helping you understand river law, and improving access on navigable rivers. Please feel free to interact with us and ask questions! Have a great week! Cheers.

9. National Rivers

Smashdn, good question. Let me forward this to NOR's river expert for a more thorough answer and get back to you. Initially it seems that if it's part of the original river bank, then there is a federal easement for public use.

10. m r too ducks

m r too ducks Senior Refuge Member

National Rivers, I also have a question
    How does the "pulling" of water for electricity generation impact the measurement of the High water mark? More specific, is the ordinary high water mark the highest point that the river rises to during generation, or the level at which the river is while the water is off? We have one land owner that claims to own to the middle of the river and has a security guard to patrol and run people off, even in boats. To avoid conflict, most people move on, but I have felt for a while he is wrong.