A Rare Trump Policy Fail

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by KENNEDY63, Nov 19, 2017.

1. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Trump to Retain Ban on Elephant Trophy Imports
    Proponents of limited big-game hunts say they furnish host countries resources to fund conservation efforts

[​IMG]
    The U.S. is reviewing a Fish and Wildlife Services policy that would allow the import of body parts of African elephants shot for sport. Photo: philimon bulawayo/Reuters
    By
    Eli Stokols

• Eli Stokols
      The Wall Street Journal

• WASHINGTON—President Donald Trump said late Friday he would keep in place a ban on the importing of elephant trophies by big-game hunters, a rare policy reversal prompted by a public outcry about the announcement last week his administration would be lifting the ban.

“Put big game trophy decision on hold until such time as I review all conservation facts,” Mr. Trump tweeted Friday evening. “Under study for years. Will update soon with Secretary Zinke. Thank you!”
      On Saturday morning, the president broadcast praise for his decision, retweeting notes of thanks from cable television personalities Greta Van Susteren and Piers Morgan.

Proponents of limited elephant hunts say they furnish the host countries resources to fund elephant conservation efforts, including anti-poaching campaigns. But In 2014, the Obama administration banned the import of sport-hunted elephants from Zimbabwe and Zambia, citing a lack of transparency in those countries’ use of the conservation funds.

The Obama policy, part of an effort to slow the decline of the population of endangered African elephants, also restricted the import and sale of ivory tusks from other countries.
    • This week, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service indicated it would be ending the ban, finding “the killing of African elephant trophy animals in Zimbabwe... will enhance the survival of the African elephant.”

• Nearly two weeks ago, the department also waived the ban in a similar manner for Zambia.

But news of the policy change prompted something rare in a politically divided country: a bipartisan outcry that brought together prominent voices on the left and right.

On Friday, Rep. Ed Royce (R., Calif.), chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said allowing big-game trophy imports was “the wrong move at the wrong time.” He noted the political crisis in Zimbabwe, where the rule of long-serving leader Robert Mugabe appears to be near an end amid popular and military resistance.

“Elephants and other big game in Africa are blood currency for terrorist organizations, and they are being killed at an alarming rate,” Mr. Royce said in a statement. “Stopping poaching isn’t just about saving the world’s most majestic animals for the future—it’s about our national security.”

Laura Ingraham, a conservative Fox News host, tweeted Thursday that she didn’t understand how the decision wouldn’t “INCREASE the gruesome poaching of elephants.”

Comedian Ellen DeGeneres, who has championed progressive causes, started an online campaign using the hashtag #BeKindToElephants to raise funds for elephant conservation efforts.

Late Friday night, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke wrote in a statement after Mr. Trump’s tweet, “President Trump and I have talked, and both believe that conservation and healthy herds are critical. As a result, in a manner compliant with all applicable laws, rules and regulations, the issuing of permits is being put on hold as the decision is being removed.”

Write to Eli Stokols at eli.stokols@wsj.com

Attached Files:

2. KENNEDY63

3. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

How is allowing LEGAL elephant/big game hunting helping the terrorists? IMOO it's like the Gun Control argument: Let's punish LEGAL gun owners for the crimes committed by criminals using guns. BTW on the SyFy channel they have been showing a lot of the WWF commercials about the demise of elephants: 30,000/years are killed by poachers? That seems like a really high number. I don't have a problem w/Big Game/Trophy hunting.

Bear likes this.
  4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I have a hard time understanding why someone would spend thousands of dollars to fly to Africa hire a guide locate a elephant herd and walk up to within 100 yards for a shot at a “trophy”. Fair chase ?

5. KENNEDY63

Millions of people have a hard time understanding how grown men could shoot little bitty ducks to smithereens with shotguns - all the while spending thousands of dollars to do so.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  6. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I, however, was a duck hunting conservationist. I shot at ducks and blew the surrounding flooded timber to smithereens. :p

Footnote: I don't see the value in shooting the big cats. But that's just me.

Elephants and such go to feed the local villagers who otherwise may go meatless.

A friend of mine decades ago shot one and almost immediatly the local villagers were stripping the elephant down to it's bones and those were used too. He said it was like a basement sale at Macy's in New York on bras and underwear.

Different world Africa and Asia.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    OneShotBandit likes this.
  7. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

That you have that impression of what typically goes on in a hunt, is indicative of the rest of your brainwashed existence. The fact that at least some elephants are culled on nuisance permits or because of problems between elephants and people isn’t trophy hunting, never occurs to some.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  8. OneShotBandit

Why don't you try about 50 yards or less, a 100 yards would be a long shot. Besides you can be killed by a elephant, that's why it's called "dangerous game hunting!" I would do it. :tu

Bear likes this.
  9. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

According to the article there is some question over the reliability of the governments issuing the permits.

Bear likes this.
  10. OneShotBandit

"Some questions?" Hmmmm? :scratch