A senior citizen caught a burglar

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by joe117, Apr 6, 2008.

1. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

PASADENA, Md. (WJZ) ― " A senior citizen in Pasadena caught a burglar in his home and held him at gunpoint until police arrived. Tom Walker told Suzanne Collins he just didn't want the young man to get away with it.

Erick Bjorntwedt, 22, headed to the courthouse on four counts of burglary and destruction of property. Police say he went on a crime spree in Pasadena until he was stopped by a 74-year-old homeowner dressed in long johns.

"He came in, I put the pistol up toward his head. I said, `Get down on the floor.' I said, `No, get down with your face on the floor,'" Tom Walker said.

Walker said he left out the expletives he used when confronting the burglar in his home at 4 a.m.

It started with a planter base used to smash a side window. Security bars prevented entry. Then the rear sliding door was smashed. Walker ran into the burglar in the garage, going through his wife's car.

"I'm no hero. I'm just trying to protect my house and my wife. At our age, we don't want to be bothered with people stealing stuff like that," he said.

The suspect ran into the house where Pat Walker faced him in the kitchen. She also stood up against the suspect. He tried to get out of her kitchen door, so she put her foot up to prevent him from getting out until her husband came back with the gun.

Police say it worked out this time, but confronting a burglar isn't the best idea because they could be armed.

"If you're able to flee the residence, we would rather you flee instead of taking on the suspect as this individual did," said Sgt. John Gilmer."

2. rahma

rahma Senior Refuge Member

The last two statements are in bold for what reason????

3. joe117

Just to demonstrate the viewpoint of some of the police here in Maryland.

4. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Hey, aren't they the ones keeping you in a 'no need to protect myself' mentality?:l :l :l

I know, if you don't like them, move.:grvn

5. Flyby

Flyby Elite Refuge Member

GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!:grvn :l

6. joe117

Actually not a great post, Okie already knows the answers.
    I am more prepared than the gentleman in the story for any home invaders. So living in Maryland isn't a factor there.
    And of course, I've been over my reasons for not moving to another state just so I could legally carry a gun.

I posted the story as a comment on the attitude of this Maryland policeman.

I believe that this policeman would rather I be unarmed even in my own home. His advice that even an armed homeowner should flee into the night at 4:00 AM is downright insulting.

7. muddy

muddy Elite Refuge Member

The sgt.'s answer was PC.

8. joe117

Well I thought that myself. That might be "department pc" just to cover their behinds.

9. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Well, I would say that all this policeman would have to do to have you be unarmed in your own home would be to get a law passed. But that was when you said you wouldn't break the law.

Now you say you would if you thought you needed to.

But, you don't think you need to living where you live.

But, you live where this happened.

So.....forgive me for being confused.:l :l

10. joe117

Well, I would say that all this policeman would have to do to have you be unarmed in your own home would be to get a law passed. But that was when you said you wouldn't break the law.

Yes, as I have said many times, I would not die in a shootout protecting my guns.
    You would. I wouldn't.

Now you say you would if you thought you needed to.

I said I might carry an illegal handgun if there were special, unusual conditions that made carrying illegally less of a threat than getting caught with the illegal loaded gun in my belt.

But, you don't think you need to living where you live.

I've been over this with you. It's the question of what is more dangerous. As it is in my area, I'd be in greater danger from committing a felony and carrying.

But, you live where this happened.

AHHHHH No. Just because it's Maryland doesn't mean it's where I live.

So.....forgive me for being confused

Confused? No.... You are just pulling my chain.:l