Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

A win for public duck blind hunters

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Old Olt, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Old Olt

Old Olt Senior Refuge Member

Thanks to the work of the Batchtown Sportsmans Club, Mississippi Valley Hunters and Fishermens Association, Illinois Federation of Outdoor Resources and Migratory Waterfowl Hunters Inc the duck hunters got a win. IDNR withdrew their proposal to ban a bunch of common duck blind building materials used on public hunting area blinds. The best part was when the Hearing Officer blasted IDNR for their illegal gag order on DNR employees and illegal denial of Freedom of Information requests during the rule making process. DNR Director Rosenthall made the right decision when he over ruled his Wildlife Division staff and told them to withdraw the new rules.

The sad part of the whole fight was that staff from the Wildlife Division would not even discuss proposals by the waterfowling groups to deal with any littering/trash issues on state areas. They were hell bent on the only discussion being how many blind building materials could be on their banned list.

DuckyPhe, zeus and auto5 like this.
  2. DuckyPhe

DuckyPhe Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Glad to hear it. Thanks for sharing the info. :tu

3. goosehunter64

goosehunter64 Elite Refuge Member

Stick it to'em

4. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I won't argue and I won't debate, but take this for what its worth:

While a number of outdoorsmen are indeed "stewards of the land", give to various wildlife charities, pay taxes on their guns & ammo and so on, a number could care less what happens to their blinds or what they leave behind in the marsh, lakes and rivers we all ( consumptive and non-consumptive ) use. How many have said, or heard, that "Hunters are the true conservationists"? True, but it goes beyond just buying your stamps and giving an annual donation of $30 to D.U.

Yes, stuff happens i.e. ice, wind, flooding will move / take down a blind quicker than your brand new Stihl chainsaw will but we, in my opinion, need to remember where this building material may or may not end up.

While a number of the formerly proposed banned items may or may have not been a bit "extreme", using chain link fence, sheets upon sheets of roofing tin, freakin carpet or rubber roofing in areas that are known to have flooding & ice damage cause un-needed eye-sores, dangers to wild and domesticated critters, and to people and their equipment ( boats, lower units etc) when no longer attached to said duck blind.

Our blind was knocked over by ice and it sucked, I mean it SUCKED, to pick up the lumber we had to, but we still did it.
    It would've been more fun to go fish, sit in the a/c or pick the fuzz from between my toes instead of picking up water logged, silt covered, blood worm infested lumber, but if we don't police ourselves, I dont know that we can blame an agency, group or anyone else for some of the crap that we leave behind and for them to tell us to get our act together.

Where do we draw the line with what can and can't be used in ref. to building materials?.....I dont know.
    There IS going to be collateral damage regardless, its part of the game I know ( not picking up every scrap of lumber, shotshell wads, ejected empty hulls....have you seen the insides of some of these trash littered public blinds ?...damn !) but leaving the places we "love" in a mess is not good "stewardship" nor good public relations to those that detest the "sport" we claim to hold dearly.

Agree with me or disagree with me ( dont call me an environmental tree hugging granola muncher that wants everything banned ), just my thoughts and observations of spending 37 years of my 46 on Earth in the outdoors.
    Now, excuse me while I go burn a pile of tires and pour used oil along my fence line that border a creek to kill the weeds :nutz

5. Miker17

Miker17 New Member

Agreed and we’ll said mudduk

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  6. dukkalr

dukkalr Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

My biggest and profound bitching and yes i made it well known to anyone that would listen and to those that wouldn't listen,,,,,,NO DAMMMMM Carpet or Fence ,,, carpet and fence lay on the floor just waiting to mess something up, it could be animal, bird or wrapped around a prop in high winds,,,, it just ain't no good , plain and simple

7. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Disagree with this being a victory.

8. Buckmark311

Buckmark311 Senior Refuge Member

blinds by me are trash in the water each year. all for materials being regulated. Id actually like to see floating blinds only and must be removed at the end of the season or posts w/ boat blinds.

riverrat47 likes this.
  9. Old Olt

Old Olt Senior Refuge Member

It was a win because banning certain materials will only have the slob hunters switch material types- the problems will continues. The DNR would not even consider or discuss the groups proposal. The 1st thing is the DNR needs to do, is do away with the "seven day rule". Currently 7 days after after an allocation period, materials/blinds left on site become the responsibility of the new blind builders. This just allows the slobs off the hook and makes it impossible to issue a citation for leaving crap behind. Our proposal was to give a 30 day period to allow a reasonable amount of time for the former blind builders to remove their materials/blinds from the site. After that if crap remains they are issued a citation. This way the slobs are held accountable and the new blind builders get a clean site every time to hunt from.

I agree Buckmark311 that floaters are a good way to go but there are a lot of state sites that you cannot get a floater into. These are isolated lakes and potholes.

It was also a huge win for open government. DNR illegally issued a gag order on DNR employees to not discuss the proposed changes with the public. They also illegally refused to comply with the Freedom of Information Act on multiple dates and requests. The Hearing Officer spanked DNR good for violating the laws to try and make laws.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018 at 6:39 AM