1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Am I the only guy that absolutely HATES his A300? I bought one because of all of the good reviews and it's a massive disappointment. Mechanically the gun is solid. Fit is great. The problem is the bucking recoil that pulls it off target so bad that it makes getting more than one bird out of a flock some real work. The first bird is always smoked so I know the gun fits well but after that first shot I may as well just set the gun down and throw the next 2 shells in the water. My 3901 has a straight back recoil and it leaves you on the target after the shot making follow up shots (If and big if) they're needed quick and easy and also making multiple birds per flock common place. Beretta really dropped the ball discontinuing the 3901 as IMO it's a far superior gun. All of that being said the A300 is a huge disappointment that did not live up to the reviews and a waste of money. It's bad enough that on my next hunt I will be shooting an old 935....

Rant over.

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I've heard more than a few guys say that they needed to add weight to the front of the 300s just for that reason.

3. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Wasn’t the Remington V3, advertised as the softest shooting semi auto? Handled one several months ago, that was walnut/matte and it fit nicely. Don’t know anyone personally that’s shooting one.

4. Smirk

Smirk Senior Refuge Member

Had a A300 mostly for sporting clays. It was OK. Sold it and bought a Remington V3. What a gun. I can't put it down. Love how it points and low recoil. Mine is synthetic 26 in. They are more front heavy and for me a 28in was too much weight forward. Been using it for duck and geese and leaving my SBE at home.....

5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

But the barrel is made from Steelium !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love this kind of crap the gun manufacturers try and pull over on the General Public anymore, no big breakthrough just Nickel/Chromium/Molybdenum steel alloy that's been around for decades but renamed to sell guns. Originally this type of steel was used for offshore oil work, chemical plants, and anywhere a strong corrosion resistant steel was needed.
    Steelium yeah OK....:sp

callinfowl likes this.
  6. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

Sell it and buy something else. Lots of good choices out there, some of my top choices would be Xtrema2, SuperX3, Versamax. Good luck in your quest!

7. Billy Bob

Waiting until I get my 3901 back before I sell it.

8. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I am very, very happy with my A 300.
    I won it at a duck dinner and was going to use it as a back up to my A 400.
    I took it out to the blind early last year to test shoot and could not miss on ducks. I liked it so much, I sold my expensive A 400 (which felt too bulky in the forearm). I lked my A 300 so I bought another one in camo. I do not shoot 3.5 shells so 3 inch chamber was all I need.. I did not notice any recoil issues probably because it is gas operated and I shoot Kent 11/8 oz shells. Never had a fail to cycle so far. Different shotguns suite different folks.
    I picked up a Remington V3 at a gunshop and it felt like a clunky boat oar.

9. Billy Bob

I only shoot 2 3/4" ammo and a lot of times it's 1oz @1325fps and it still bucks. It doesn't kick harder, the muzzle jumps every time you pull the trigger. If you have ever shot a 3901 much you will notice it immediately. That thin forearm and it being 1/2 pound lighter doesn't do the A300 any favors. That half pound it is missing in the action/forearm would probably counteract that bucking.

10. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Easy solution if folks need it. You can add fore end cap weights.
    I am 5'1"11 220 and not very recoil shy within limits which comfort for me is 3 inch 11/8 Kents.
    I like the "lively" fore end.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 4:19 PM
    Tuleman likes this.