A5 owners

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Wareaglebrowning, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Wareaglebrowning

Wareaglebrowning Refuge Member

For those of you all that shoot and own the A5 have you all had any issues in the bitter temps, mine has been great up till now , our temps r in the teens , I keep my guns clean and I use fpt oil , and sometimes Clp , gun shoots but won't eject, my silver is a gas gun , never a issue

2. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

There’s liquid of some sort in your action spring. That shuts down all of the inertia guns in the cold.....unless it’s a high quality, low temp lube. That means NOT CLP, which is a crappy lube, but can dirty and gunk up a gun better than almost anything out there, since it’s made to attract dirt and carbon AND flow. FPT I’m not sure about, but I’d run it DRY, other than maybe a LIGHT (wiped off) coating of a pure synthetic lube or even Mobil 1.

3. Seaark18

Seaark18 Senior Refuge Member

Try FP10. Seems to work well in the cold. My A5 3.5” has been fine.

4. ALMODUX

I’ve used some FP10 on stuff, and I’d say it should be fine, too. The issue is understanding where ALL moisture, liquids, and crud often ends up in an inertia gun, driven by one spring in the buttstock: in that one spring in the buttstock. Sit it muzzle down on a towel after hunts, and that’s the first preventative measure. That’ll cover at least 50% (if not 100%) of needed maintenance on most days.

ronaldo likes this.
  5. RossB

RossB New Member

Are we talking the old A5 or the new one? In the old one, I've used motor oil on the tube to fix this problem. Once even dripping some off the dipstick in my truck.

6. Wareaglebrowning

Wareaglebrowning Refuge Member

7. ALMODUX

Different function/mass type guns. Even so, gravity and gunk/oil don’t mix on most guns.....store them all muzzle down after a hunt.

CanardNoir and OneShotBandit like this.
  8. Seaark18

Seaark18 Senior Refuge Member

That’s good advice. I typically let my guns sit muzzle down for a day or so after use before they go in the safe. Most folks probably don’t think to do that.

9. Long Shot

Long Shot Senior Refuge Member

One thingI have done that seems to help my HK-M1 is spray the rails down with Seafoam spray. I have cleaned with detergent & hot water used FP10, put stronger recoil springs in, & the Seafoam helped more than anything.

10. ALMODUX

Mix some Mobil 1 w/seafoam, and you have some serious, all-weather, Synthetic lube.