Oklahoma Flyway Forum Sponsors

Aaahhhhh

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Flyway Forum' started by frozen okie, Jun 5, 2017.

1. frozen okie

frozen okie Senior Refuge Member

Little back history , lived in SE OK (Heavner) for 10 years then back in AK for the last 16 , never hunted ducks or geese until about 2 years ago
    Been driving around looking at the old haunts and what not, I will be fully moved back in July ( and ya I'm gonna melt)
    Needless to say hunting down here is a total different ball game , really dumb ducks in AK , but looking forward to the challange of hunting here
    And the learning curve that comes with it
    Driving around Wister Lake looks like it should have a few birds , see some geese hanging around , but I can't find anything in the regs about hunting on or around the lake only thing I see so far is no wheelers.
    Any idea on where a guy can go to get a hard copy of the regs?

And another question I have is ( cause I can't remember) is the lake usally kept high during season? Like other places? Looks like a guy could get into some flooded timber , but I'm not real sure how many ducks come down through here?
    Any how hope to enjoy some hunting down here and hope you guys enjoy your summer and look forward to maybe bumping into ya at a launch or bullshitting about ducks

2. 14Todd

14Todd New Member

wildlifedepartment.com should be able to help you. It's the Oklahoma website for rules n regulations.

3. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

October and November rain dictates a lot on waterlevel. July and august can loose a inch a day so hard to hold level in the summer.

4. Okie Fowler

Okie Fowler Senior Refuge Member

I hunt the flooded timber at Wister quite a bit. The yearly rainfall, before and during the season, has a lot to do with the ability to have successful hunts at Wister. The water level can vary a lot during the season. So, you need to be willing to walk, float tube, or boat into pockets of flooded timber. There are, however, those who hunt the open part of the lake. You can also hunt near Summerfield, on the northwest side of the lake.

5. frozen okie

frozen okie Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the advice , now how does a guy go about killing them little spawns of Satan you call fire ants, dear lord I got my *** tore up