About bismuth...........

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Matt Barnard, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

I have had similar experiences. Out of curiosity, what do you think of good quality steel 3s? Not the guy who posts sometimes, but the actual shot.:l

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

RSI 65 with 3's is a killer and if you're a speed demon The Lightning Steel manual could be for you !

10GAGENUT likes this.
  3. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

If I only shot ducks steel 3's would be a very good choice through my Beretta modified.
    With the limit of Specks out here at 10 per day #2's are fine performing, one size fits all.
    If it was only ducks, 3's are the very best, pure duck load in my opinion.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Thing about steel 3's is most guns will pattern them well, I've shot them in 10, 12 and 16 gauge, have had very good results on ducks with them. 2's can get iffy sometimes as some guns will pattern them well and some won't, for smaller shot sizes I've found steel 1's or B's to be most effective on geese even at the 45 yard mark.

JFG likes this.
  5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

1129161543.jpg

This should give you an idea of the range I shoot my birds and why I can make small shot work. They try to land in the decoys on the right side of the pic. First shot is 20 yards or less and 3 feet off the water. Any questions?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  6. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Just lucky or a better shot I guess. I refuse to shoot any shot side smaller than a 2 at geese. I prefer 1s or bigger myself.

7. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

Not trying to be crabby, but I never did get an answer. This wasn't a question about the lethality of #3 or #4 steel shot. I am quite confident in my shooting ability to kill anything I shoot at out to 40 yards. I am still wondering if I can get Bismuth shot in anything bigger than #4. I would like to be able to get some #2 shot if it is available. Thank you.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

If you want loaded ammo Kents making Bismuth shells in sizes up to BB. if you just want the shot Rotometals has every size you need
    https://www.rotometals.com/lead-shot-buck-shot/bismuth-shot/

9. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

Thank you! Kents it is!

10. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

I answered you on the 4th post in thread. I assumed since you said bismuth, and not bismuth shells, you wanted loose shot, this being the reloading forum.