$/acre

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by yogi, Mar 15, 2017.

1. duck recruiter

duck recruiter Senior Refuge Member

I have hunted ducks all up and down the Mississippi & Central Flyways. It is a lot of fun to try new things and hunt new places. However hunting the marsh of South LA, Reservoirs in OK, dry peanuts in the TX Panhandle, Playa Lakes of West TX, Potholes in ND/SD, dry fields in Canada, a rice/bean/corn field or a sandbar on the Arkansas River in front of my house..........is not even close to the same as wading the flooded woods of East Arkansas. This is not a fact but my personal opinion of course. I don't duck hunt out of state any more......I have experienced the way others hunt and I prefer to hunt the woods I've hunted my entire life. Usually I'll pass on opportunities to hunt a field unless it is an unusually dry. Too Cooksey's point, We had great hunts, killed piles of ducks and geese at the places listed; but I would be completely satisfied with 1/3 as many hanging from my strap if theyed been killt up in da woods.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Try hunting some of the WMAs in California. Some of them have 400 plus people per hunt day, and the avg is about .3 or less. If any of the areas shot above a 1 bird avg, the lines to get in are 5 miles long.

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I've hunted several CA WMAs. Biggest contributor to lack of success there, from what I saw, is most of the hunters suck.

trip and Winchester 1897 like this.
  4. Winchester 1897

You also have a 1/8 of the amount of duck hunters in Canada as they do Arkansas, or California.

If it wasnt for privately managed wetlands, especially here in the west, we wouldnt have many wetlands left in the United States. Just an example, here in California about 10 percent of the remaining wetlands are public ground. The rest, including rice fields which make up for a large percentage of our wintering grounds, are private. The average cost of a 4 man rice blind is about 4,000 dollars, and the better shooting blinds can cost upwards of 10,000 dollars. Natural Habitat clubs cost significantly more. One friend of mine was offered a membership in a club that his family used to shoot. The buy in would have costed him $50,000, and he would have to pay an additional 4,000 dollars per year for water deliveries and maintenance. And this is for a club that mostly shoots shovelers, teal, and wigeon.....

5. Winchester 1897

Thats a large portion of the problem. Another big part of it is the majority of CA public land hunters are a bunch of disrespectful jackasses with no sense of ethics.

6. stumpy waters

stumpy waters Elite Refuge Member

Multiply that times 10, and you are in Arkansas.

Doesn't stop folks from killing ducks though.

7. Winchester 1897

Ive hunted Arkansas once, on private ground that my family back there owns, plus some that friends of theirs farm. We hunted a Ag reservoir for the most part, and a little a beaver slough back in the trees. I think i killed 10 ducks back there, including my first canvas back and wood duck.

I'll admit, that was when i first started duck hunting and i wasnt that great of a shot, but i wasnt really impressed. I would like to try it again though. That being said, i think the hunting is better out here in the West.

8. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Blasphemy!

9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Arkansas=no water + no ducks

By the way, I lived in CA for six years and traveled there to visit and hunt with my father for 15 before that. I hunted public and private from the delta to Salton Sea. The only thing I ever missed after leaving was the wide open quail hunting.

By the way, you didn't hunt timber.

10. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

You Canadians wouldn't like it
    It's a lot more fun to pass shoot from the dike or rd