Acres per hunter?

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by fowlplay4fowl, Sep 19, 2018.

1. fowlplay4fowl

fowlplay4fowl New Member

If you were looking at buying some land to have a duck club and wanted to have several blind locations, how many acres do you think you need per blind? Blinds would be hunted at the same time so would like to try and keep it from affecting others as much as possible. Property would be a mixture of wetlands, flooded crops, and timber. Thks for any input

2. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

I think there's many factors to be considered outside of just acres needed. Depends on the lay of the land, prevailing winds, what areas of the property the birds use, etc. For example, we hunt a 74 acre vertically oriented rectangle. 65 is floodable, we flood about 55. We have two blinds on it. Could possibly have one more but I feel it would be in a waste area and provide a cramped hunting environment resulting in poor hunting. One of the blinds is almost smack dab in the middle of the field. That's where the birds want to be, so we put a blind there. If I didn't want to put one where the birds wanted to be, I could have arranged it differently. It's all in what you desire, but to answer the original question in a very uneducated fashion, I'd want at minimum 20 acres per blind. If the blinds are going to be hunted simultaneously, I'd probably want more to avoid the frustration of other people working the same birds. To me, having multiple blinds hunted on a small field is a recipe for frustration.

3. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

We have a 45 acre piece next to a large refuge and duck park. We only put water on about 20 acres. There are 3 owners and we have a 1 guest per owner allotment. We almost always hunt together and just like Cliner said birds want to use certain spots within the spot. We found out quickly that the birds wanted the middle of the pool area so we placed two 4 man pits in the middle of the pool.

I thought i heard once that the duck parks manage to a 40 acre to 1 party ratio which would make sense to me. I would not desire anything less than that.

Good luck

fowlplay4fowl likes this.
  4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

As Cliner stated it depends on the lay of the land and how you set up your water and blinds. When we had the rice field lease we set up the blinds at the far ends of the flooded area which was around 12-14 acres. That gave us around 300 yards distance between two blinds which worked out to be more than enough. There were times I wish we had a center blind but we didn't think it would be safe to hunt the two outer blinds and a center blind at the same time. The lease property itself was a bit over 80 acres but we didn't flood the whole place as we wanted the option of having an area to field hunt Snow Geese.

5. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

At least 3/8 mile if you’re field hunting them all at the same time. In the timber 1/4 mile.

6. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

I think another thing to consider is wind direction. Everyone looks forward to a Northwest wind but in reality, a Southern wind is what we have the majority of the time...including the dreaded SE wind. With that being said, how does your property layout for each wind direction?

Our duck club has 6 blinds...two of them are not good when we get a strong south wind, one is not good with a big North or Northwest wind and the other three are okay with just about any wind.

7. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Blinds in NW, NE, SE, South Central and in Middle. Moving the NE next to SE this Fall so we have a little extra space for our Snow Goose setup. Middle #1, NW #2 during pre freeze. South Central (where pump water runs in) #1 and Middle #2 when freezes.

8. sgt duck

sgt duck Senior Refuge Member

Like Mack said it all depends on the wind. All of our blinds are at least 300 yds a part and only one of our blinds is about 200 yds from one of our next door hunters. It all depends on hunter courtesy and not shooting ducks out of range. Their are a lot of blinds in our area and if the hunters give the ducks a fair chance and respect other blinds its not a problem. But of some want to call way too much or sky bust it ruins the day for everyone in the bottoms.