Adak Dream hunt 2010 Team Xtreme

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by AleutianKing, Nov 8, 2010.

1. AleutianKing

AleutianKing Elite Refuge Member

Well have been driving around scouting and we come across the differant small herds on the island, Havn't seen many big bulls only a couple mostly small bulls and cows near town with access by truck on the roads. The guys renting 4-wheelers go way back in and see more, our neighbor got 4 yesterday all small bulls but great eating. Ran across this group of guys hunting as they have one down 200 yds from the dirt road, so i decided to take some pics. If your just looking for meat this is a slam dunk.

[​IMG]
    Adak is a cool place if you love the Outdoors and hunting, But it is pretty serious weather at times. But still allot milder than Island X. Another lucky hunter walking up for the final kill shot
    [​IMG]

2. flyline

flyline Elite Refuge Member

I just am awe of Alaska from the south pan handle to north slope to the aluetians to pribolofs. Someday:tu

3. saltdux

saltdux Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

~ Thanks Charlie-- How's the venison from those 'bou ? tasty ?

4. AleutianKing

Dave we just finished Caribou tenderloins in onion and mushroom gravy sauteed in a little Yoshidas gourmet sauce served over a bed of Rice it was fingerlickin good. The guys managed to get a nice bou today while me and jeff were getting organized and rerigged for next week. Feel kinda bad the weather was super today bright sun and very little wind, so we took advantage of it this afternoon and took some pictures it is hard to believe this is Adak on a nice day, This has to be one of the best days of the entire year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. flyline

flyline Elite Refuge Member

wow what scenery. Thats all on the one island?

6. barngeatbayman

barngeatbayman Elite Refuge Member

charlie thats incredible:tu

7. AleutianKing

These pictures were all taken yesterday between 1:30-3:00 driving on the roads around Adak Island I never walked more than 50 feet from the truck off the roads. I was rather amazed myself at how good the picture turned out with a borrowed Nikon Camera.

8. CBP

CBP Senior Refuge Member

Charlie, those scenery pics are amazing!! How's the trophy quality looking with the caribou you're seeing?

9. Wood Duck Crazy

Wood Duck Crazy Elite Refuge Member

Charlie Awesome pics!!!

Tell Woodie I am hoping he has great luck with you this week....

10. AleutianKing

I have had lots of Pm's and questions about the Caribou hunting on Adak, Well its very simple There is a nice sized herd somewhere between 3-4,000 animals they have not been officially counted in a few years. The hunting is open for the public Alaska Residents and nonresidents both. We are not offering guided hunts or running a transporter service of any kind for these hunts we strickly guide Ducks and upland birds. In saying that if any of our clients that come up with us on one of our Hunts to Adak would like to hunt Caribou while there here, we have a local contact who rents 4 wheelers for $125 a day from town, so you could spend a 1/2 day or a couple days exploring and hunting caribou on your own if you wish, you just need to purchase a Big Game lic and tag $410 and a $35 native permit from the Local native corporation while here on the island.

I retired from all big game guiding 5 years ago and will not aid or assist any hunter while in the field with their caribou hunt. Nov and early dec seem to be a great time as the snowfall in the mountains pushes the caribou down closer to town out of the mountains higher elevations to feed. All hunters during Nov and early Dec have had opportunity to take a caribou if they wanted one, This is is a great chance to have a real good trip at a reasonable price as How can you beat $3500 for a week of trophy duck hunting and a couple days of self guided Caribou hunting. As for trophy quality there are a few real nice ones but don't expect to bag a B&C record Caribou on a 6 hour 4 wheeler hunt, Its not gonna happen if you get serious and spend a few days and pass up a couple hundred animals you can get a decent horned animal but you will have to hunt hard, if you just want to kill something for meat its usually a slam dunk. The meat is wonderful and very mild. So if you would love to shoot some Harlequin and a chance at a Pacific Eiders then go get after a Caribou the Adak Combo is Awesome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Above a herd of Caribou feeding on the island, this is very typical. Below is one of the valleys that they hunt showing the terrain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]