Adak Island Hunt

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Chen_caerulescens, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Chen_caerulescens

Chen_caerulescens Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

I shot a nice euro widgeon drake today along with some nice aleutian GWT. We are hunting Adak Island for the first time on an exploratory hunt for Sea ducks and eurasian vagrants. The hunting has been pretty good overall, but we have not been able to get any Pacific Common Eiders yet. They are our main target and hopefully we will get some soon. The Harlequin hunting is off the charts, the best I have seen anywhere. We have shot a lot of Aluetian GWT also, they are much larger then our teal back home and have different plumage too. Adak also has a unique subspecies of Rock Ptarmigan that we have also added to the freezer. I have seen some nice groups of Caribou but we are after the birds this trip. Adak is an absolute ghost town, less than 100 residents, but enough buildings and housing for probably 10,000 people. They even had a Mc Donalds. I have never seen a place like this before, I will post up more pictures when I get back home next week.

Here is a link to more about our hunt:

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=755308

[​IMG]

2. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

We only had 6,000 people out there at the peak in the late 1980's. The enlisted folks were stacked 4 to 6 in a 2 or 4 person room in some of the barricks. The McD's coffee was served at a temperature that nearly melted the cups even after the lawsuit. They made your food after you ordered it so it was never sitting around under a heat lamp. Still the same junk though.

I have yet to go out there now that it is nearly empty of people.

We hunted a lot of P-brids, but didn't go after the ducks very often. Now looking back at it I regret not putting in some time on the waterfowl. Mom loved teal and there were enough of them out there, but Dad was a jump shooter and didn't like the whole sitting and waiting of "normal" duck hunting. We didn't have a dog out there and there was no vet then either.

Clam Lagoon was always a good place to set up on the rocky point near the hospital marker on the side of the road. Scoter central with all the herring row, muscles, and clams.

Nearly every lake/pond had a couple of GE's on it all fall.

One winter some strange asian swan showed up and staid in a lake on top of NAVFAC hill on the way to NSGA. It was a juvie according to the USFWS guys and very lost.

I see on the other post that the Island X guys are out there. Are they thinking of expanding their opperation? Is that a RIB flown in or a real boat barged in?

Is Chris doing some bio work or just up goofing off? I would like to meet Chris on his way back through Anchorage since he is from the same part of Nevada I spent my childhood in.

3. Chen_caerulescens

Ray,
    We shipped out my Achilles boat, it is not a RIB. This is kind of an exploratory hunt to see what is available. I have had a good time and was able to get some nice birds, but I don't see a viable commercial operation out here. We still have a few days left to get some eiders, but the weather is pretty unforgiving. Not a lot of Common Eiders here, I wouldn't feel comfortable guiding here. Decent numbers of Aleutian Teal, but Euro widgeon are scarce. No sitings of other euro vagrants either.

Thanks for the info on Adak

4. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

Can you get out to "battle ship rock" in the bay off of Kuluk beach? It is exposed at high tide, but may not offer a decent place to hide. You should be able to hunt it like a rock shelf on the coast of Maine.

There were always birds on or around that rock. Mostly auklets of some kind in the summer, but larger birds were around there on the water on days I paid attention. We did not fish near there due to the rocks and loosing too much gear but it might have some good food for the eiders.

Too much habitat is the common Alaska problem. A little pressure and the birds are gone until more show up later in the day.

Without huge pots of government money there are not a lot of viable things to do on Adak.

BTW we seldom saw emporer geese in clam lagoon, but when we did see them that was the only place. They did not hang around for photos.

5. Chen_caerulescens

We covered Kuluk Bay and then some with very few Eider sightings, the weather was rough today and looks to get worse over the next day or so. We have seen emps every day in Clam Lagoon, not many though. I have seen many more at other locations in the Aleutians and on the AK Peninsula. We haven't seen any scoters in Clam Lagoon, but we have seen a few hundred in Kuluk Bay. I have only seen 1 pintail here, though that their would be a few more around.

6. Chen_caerulescens

a few more pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going after eiders tomorrow morning....

7. D Stimac

D Stimac Moderator Moderator

Jeff,

I love that blurred Harli shot! Nice work:clap

8. wal1809

wal1809 Elite Refuge Member

Chen, I am from Texas. Well actually stuck here for 7 more years. I will retire at 49 and be ready for the rest of my life not tied to the office. Alaska is where we want to be. I read your posts and look at your photos all the time. Please keep keep up the good posting work. Remember this post for one day we will share a blind.

9. Chen_caerulescens

Sounds good, I am looking forward to hunting with you.:tu

10. Chen_caerulescens

Thanks David, but I can't take credit for Charlie's picture, so kudos to AleutianKing for the Harlie pic:tu