Adding a bigger motor to boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by quackaddictrecovery, Jun 2, 2018.

1. quackaddictrecovery

quackaddictrecovery New Member

on another thread I was asking about buying a new 754 LVD War Eagle. The boat is rated for 50HP. Can a guy get away with a 60 or 70HP tiller? I know the boat is rated for 50. Would that void warranty on the boat if I went with a bigger size? Could I put together a 70HP package at the dealer? Maybe stupid questions but would like some input. thanks!

2. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

3. buzzkill

buzzkill Senior Refuge Member

I dont know if a dealer would put a larger motor on your boat.
    I would think that a dealer would try to avoid any liability issues. There is a reason why vessels have power ratings. I would go with the max and call it good.

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I make it a rule to "overpower" my boats. Never had any issues doing it, and many times I've been glad I had the extra horses hanging on the transom.
    The dealer probably won't do it for you, but there's no law against asking.

For that matter, I don't believe you'd be breaking any laws by actually doing it, either.... a hull being rated for a certain power doesn't mean it's legally binding. I'm not a lawyer, but I played one once in a high school play.

5. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

There's two issues, liability and legality. Legality depends on what state your boat is registered in, in some states you can be cited for going over the HP that is listed on the hull plate, Ohio is one state that has that law, there are a few others. Other states have no such laws, but most have an unsafe operation clause, that says something to the effect that operating a boat beyond it's capacity is a violation (whether that be overloading, overpowering, speeding etc.), that could be used to assign liability. It is very doubtful that any dealer will install an engine that exceeds the capacity plate rating. Liability is on the person who installs the engine. The issue is very likely never going to come up, unless there is an accident which can be linked back to the overpowering of the boat. All that said, most insurance companies will insure an overpowered boat.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  6. Long Shot

Long Shot Senior Refuge Member

I doubt that your insurance company would care for the idea.

7. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Many capacity plates are under rated. Use the CG formula lenght x with (feet) x 2 - 90 to get the true rating for boats with a 20 in transom .

8. trck drvr

trck drvr Senior Refuge Member

Lots of available hoods/covers for motors and mostmid size motors interchange hoods..
    Ive done it.(changed hoods)
    Didn't secure mine tightly after checking the oil and lost the hood somewhere down the interstate on a long trip..
    Bought a used replacement hood for my 90 that said 75 on it..

Or just buy some stickers and downsize the motor with new stickers..

quackaddictrecovery likes this.
  9. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

If you plan on insuring it they will require the serial number from the motor, which will be tied to the actual HP rating.

Bottom line, yes, you can do it. But you are taking a calculated risk.

10. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

If it was illegal to over power a boat how do the guys that run blown and injected flat bottoms get away with it? 18 to 20er's smaller and lower than most tin boats with 7 to 900 hp or more. Those guys aren't running $100,000 worth of machinery without insurance. :no:no:no