Adding a bigger motor to boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by quackaddictrecovery, Jun 2, 2018.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Just buck up, get the 70, and go fishing....:yes

2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

The liability is on whoever INSTALLED the engine, hence the reason a dealer won't do it. The liability actually follows the boat, so if you install a bigger motor than the plate says and then sell the boat, the liability is still on you.

quackaddictrecovery likes this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

So having 20 extra HP isn't worth it in your opinion?:scratch
    That is assinine in my opinion, I'd be thrilled to have 10 extra HP let alone 20 extra HP on my 17'er.:yes:yes:yes

4. callinfowl

That 20 extra HP my be the difference between beating a front or big wind back to safe harbor or having to pound through it.
    You don't need to use the extra HP under normal operation, but knowing you have it if you need it is comforting in my opinion. There is nothing worse than an under powered boat, you'll be pissed about not going one size up every time you use it.
    Buy the 70hp and never look back, the only time it could be a problem is if you operate it like a moron.

Tuleman and quackaddictrecovery like this.
  5. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

The 20 extra hp will not be noticeable on the bottom end of the torque range, where you will be when trying to stay on top in a heavy wind with a big load. The extra 20 will get you some more top end speed, but that is not what I am concerned about with a duck boat (and he will still run in the 30s with the 50.) Again, this is the same 1.0L engine block where they have increased the RPM range and fuel mapping to increase the HP rating. This will not increase your low end torque. If you truly feel this boat is underpowdered with the 50 then he should make the jump to the 1.8L 75.

https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/articles/torquevshp

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  6. callinfowl

Are you kidding me?
    Go run one of each and get back to me.
    Night and day, power is power low-end or high end.
    Put 3 guys with gear and a dog, you will want the extra power for getting up on pad quicker and punching through waves.
    There aren't many excuses to go with a weaker motor.
    I have never once heard someone say they wish they had less engine.

Tuleman likes this.
  7. callinfowl

Heck I'd put a 90 on it and be do e with it.

Dave Adamson likes this.
  8. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

Power is power........LOL

9. FLATBTM

FLATBTM Refuge Member

Guess this be a good first thread to jump in lol. You'll love that extra 20. If you ain't a dumbass you won't be getting sued for some freak duck boat crash. I keep hearing there's a reason they give them a rating, but after a certain number of feet you can have triple blown big blocks and a top end of 130-140mph?? Doesn't sound like much reasoning to me. Weight is all you need to worry about. She either handles right or she squatting like a bulldog.

I got the same reaction with my boat but we been having a bawl.

Attached Files:

10. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

A 1754 is NOT underpowered with a 50. Maybe if you have 5 guys, dogs and gear in the boat .... but who is going to do that with a 1754, especially if there's weather???

It all boils down to what the OP is comfortable with. With the 50 you have more than enough power, and no legal headaches. If you went with remote steering, you could not worry about the legal aspect and a bigger motor. But having a tiller myself on my 1760, I like having the room in the boat. And as I said earlier, a 50 on my 1760 is plenty of power. A 40 would do good as well.