Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Adding a bigger motor to boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by quackaddictrecovery, Jun 2, 2018.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

A guy that I used to hunt with had a 1754with a 50hp honda.
    The boat ran OK but with 3 guys gear and a dog, the boat was a turd.
    It would've been perfect with at least a 60 or better yet a 70hp.
    We run big rivers out here in shipping lanes, so you want extra power when you need it to power through a big swell or to get up on pad quickly. I don't need to go 45 or 50 mph, I just want power when I need it, you're not going to have anything extra in reserve with a 40 or 50hp engine, sorry that is fact.

2. FLATBTM

FLATBTM Refuge Member

Hell, my 1448 is underpowered with a 50 Merc. Not exactly some set formula for every cat tho. Some people just like things different than others.

I personally like big ole cams and blower surge and too many cold beers and oversize titties and my boat scaring the hell out of all my capacity plate obeying friends. But I ain't mad that they like it tame :tu

callinfowl likes this.
  3. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Well, that's not a fact. It's your opinion based on an unknown honda 50. With a 50 on mine with 3 guys. dogs, duck blind hunting and boating and hunting gear, it still has more than enough power. Four is good. I've done 5 people with gear, but that is too much and becomes a little sluggish. Maybe the 50 you rode in had problems? Mine is a 2015 EFI Yamaha 4-stroke 50. Willing to give you a ride if you ever get this way ......

callinfowl likes this.
  4. quackaddictrecovery

quackaddictrecovery New Member

I’ve been really thinking about this a lot. More than what I should but I need to get a price on the motor, trailer, and boat separately and call insurance to see if I’m covered if I slap a 70HP on there. If I am fully covered on insurance I’ll get the 70. There is a $1,300 difference from the 50 to 70 Yamaha 4 stroke. I’m getting quotes from Union City, TN and Searcy, AR. Both are 4-6 hours from me. I’m gonna pay cash for this boat and I’m a little off from what I need to buy one. In the mean time I sell American flag home decor on the side. So I’m gonna power house and build some flags to sell for a month or two. I greatly appreciate all the feedback guys!

Attached Files:

callinfowl likes this.
  5. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

I think thats a good plan. I think you'll be happy you got the extra HP assuming insurance will cover it. There are so many variables such as extra people, ice build up on your boat, wind, waves, ect that having a little extra power would actually make the boat safer.

callinfowl likes this.
  6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

In that case if it's the same block the power that's getting you on plane and "powering" through is torque, and it's gonna be the same with the same block; as has been said the extra power comes from higher rpms and comes into play when running at speed, not when getting on plane or pushing a load. The only way they'd be any different is if the prop was different.
    If you want better load handling and quicker planning you need more displacement, pure and simple.

Lastflight and callinfowl like this.
  7. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

Exactly. Just because it has a higher number on the sticker doesn't mean it will lift the boat out of the hole any better.

8. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

It was brand new,
    Regardless more HP isn't going to hurt the performance
    Of the boat unless we're talking about it being grossly overweight. Which is my opinion, I have a 17' Gregor deep water boat that has a 40hp engine on it. It is grossly under hp with anything more than 2 guys, gear and a dog in it.
    It can handle 3 guys and a dog but it's under powered.
    I just don't want someone else to be disappointed with there boat. Ultimately the original poster will have to decide which way he wants to go. :tu

Lastflight and tcc like this.
  9. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

When I bought my 16ft Seaark it had a 25 -2 stroke on it. It did good for 4 years, then I decided that for three or 4 guys and decoys and other gear- I needed more power. I went to a 50hp Mercury 2 stroke- SURE GLAD I DID! fireduck- Kenny

10. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like a good plan. You're the one that has to make that decision.

Btw, I have both a 2014 Yammie 50 4-stroke (on my 1760) and a 2014 Yammie 70 4-stroke (on my 26' McGregor). Both are excellent O/Bs, and match well with the boats they power. The EFI is great ..... they start up excellent in cold weather, or after sitting around for months.