Adding a trim button to the tiller?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by StumpJumper, Mar 6, 2018.

1. StumpJumper

StumpJumper Refuge Member

I just picked up a powrtran tilt unit (kinda like a cmc). It has a giant dual button for the controls. Is there a way I can modify my tiller to change the throttle with one that has the thumb control for the trim?

Motor is a 2000 Yamaha 25 four stroke.

2. shooter

shooter Elite Refuge Member

Your options are only limited by your imagination, provided you are using a power relay and not relying on your switch to carry all the current. Any switch capable of carrying the current directly is going to be large.
    I am currently looking at rigging a thumb switch that mounts in the end of my tiller tube, biggest concern is getting something that is IP67 certified so water doesn't kill it.
    Right now I'm running a simple DPST toggle switch with momentary ON-OFF-ON contacts strapped to my tiller with band clamps.

3. Bubba

Bubba Senior Refuge Member

I had a CMC on a 40 Tohatsu that I ran the switch to the end of the tiller, but I didn't like it there as much as I thought I would. Mainly because the switch twisted with the throttle and sometimes in the heat of battle I would fail to keep up with the orientation of the switch since it changed as the throttle turned. I moved the switch to the grab bar and ran it with my right hand and that was much preferred by me.

4. buzzkill

buzzkill Senior Refuge Member

Same here. ^^^^
    I had a Panther unit on my boat. I tried but didn't like the switch on the tiller so I mounted it where I could use with my other hand.

5. metalworx

metalworx Refuge Member

Here' how I mounted mine.

Metalworx Screenshot_20180309-122929.png

6. shooter

shooter Elite Refuge Member

I'm running a squeeze throttle, so that wouldn't be an issue for me.
    What switch did you use?

7. Bubba

Bubba Senior Refuge Member

I used the switch that came with my CMC.