Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Adding storage hatches to a Jon

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by freefall, Oct 29, 2018.

1. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Have any of you added storage hatches to a Jon boat such as a Tracker ? I hate how little storage/ if any there is in factory Jon's. I'm going to be picking up a boat in the next few weeks and wanted to cut & add storage bins & hatches into the front deck and bench. Before I do I thought I'd get some feedback and suggestions.

If you've done something like this and have some tips or ideas please post up.

Thanks

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

If you do that you will be taking out the flotation foam that undoubtedly fills those areas. Just know that the boat was designed for full level flotation. That means that when submerged, with a max load rated on the boat nameplate, it will float level in the water. If you take out any flotation you will change this. That may or may not matter to you.

3. freefall

The bench definitely has foam and for the size of the storage I am adding (small) I'm ok with that amount of flotation missing.

I dont believe that the bow has any, I could be wrong and I'll check it out once I get it home.

4. AJCsurf

AJCsurf Elite Refuge Member

The bow shouldn't have any. Most bench flotation is more than enough to float a submerged small aluminum jon boat...if that's what you have. My hatch came with my boat. One thing I hate about it is its never big enough and you're always reaching around inside looking for stuff that has shifted around... I think too big might compromise the deck unless there is some beefed up framing on the deck.

5. freefall

Its a Welded Tracker Griz 1754. Screenshot_20181028-185838.jpg

I was going to add 2 hatches with tubs that are just big enough for fishing storage containers on the bow and 1 on the bench.

Screenshot_20181028-185838.jpg

6. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I used one of these for my battery and wiring to my switch panel in my middle bench. Was pretty easy and has held up great. 20180509_170008.jpg 20180509_165948.jpg

freefall likes this.
  7. warrenwaterfowler

8. warrenwaterfowler

9. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

If you can find them, I would recommend the metal framed hatch lids. They won't warp out of shape from sun exposure, and have a built in drain channel. Hinges are a lot sturdier also. Got mine from Overtons several years ago.

Attached Files:

freefall likes this.
  10. freefall

Were there any issues with the installation? Is there anything you would change or do differently?

11. freefall

Were there any issues with the installation? Is there anything you would change or do differently?

12. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    Oh. Boat. The thread is about a boat. Much better. Didn't want to contemplate what you'd be storing if it was the other.