Advice needed

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by FloridaFowler, Sep 15, 2011.

1. FloridaFowler

FloridaFowler Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys,

Not a varmint hunter, just shoot coyotes when I see 'em. I was sitting in a stand a couple weeks ago, looking to take a big boar off of our property, when a train blew its whistle about a half mile away. No less than a half dozen coyotes sounded off! I knew they were on the property, but I haven't seen them often. My question is, is there any way I could try to "casually" target them, i.e. not put a ton of time into it? Gut piles? Better to hunt them at night with a spotlight? It's just 400 acres, so I'm not sure if it would even be worth the effort, as others would likely take the place of any that we remove from the property. Just trying to help out the turkey/deer population a bit.

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Take that boar and/or others, set them out in a visible spot by where you hear the coyotes. Head out there a half hour before sunset and snipe them off of it. Give them a day or two to chew on it at first.

You could also give calling them a try, I think cabelas has the primos power dog electric call on sale for like $70, an incredible deal.
    Or, keep it simpler and buy a closed reed rabbit in distress call, though coyotes can get hip to these pretty quick.

I have heard that night hunting is easier, but it isn't my style, so I can't help you there.

3. A Wallace

A Wallace Senior Refuge Member

Bret is right, Cant bait here in cali. but yes try calling about 30 min before sun up & watch how easy a hungry coyote comes running. I us an AR .223 but kill most within 40yrds with my 12ga. #4 buck 3" GOOD LUCK! & have fun!!!

4. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Bait shooting is the easy way to get them...sit the bait somewhere that you can check 3 or 4 times a day from a 100 yds....good luck.:tu