Advice on next dog (long question)

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Laboratory, Sep 12, 2017.

1. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

Very astute observation.

I judged several PPs during my apprenticeship and as a judge.

DDs have motherliness. One of which is PP. My current pup is a PPxPP motherline, and she's been the most maintenance free DD that I've had.

Coat is not as great for coverage, but retrieve and point are exceptional.

Some breeders have caught on, and are turning out a very nice dog!!!

My pup's g-father was a boar hunting dog... and like my pup he fetched a fawn unharmed ...

... if you get the right breeding they are incredible dogs!!!

3ds

HUNT24/7 and Laboratory like this.
  2. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I've had or hunted closely with elhews, Llewelyns, brittanies, and a pudelpointer. Rule out the elhew and anything but true line Llewelyns. I love old-style, foot bred brits and my buddy's pudelpointer is a really brilliant dog, but was a bit 'different' for training/hunting, when younger. I'd take any of the latter three and not lose sleep over it. My last Brit was unbelievable for everything except freezing water. Still, she swam circles around most labs, no kidding.

duckbuster5901 likes this.
  3. Laboratory

Laboratory Senior Refuge Member

35+ years ago my dad and older brothers had Brittany Spaniels. All I remember the dogs did not listen, were out of control, and they had to worry more about them running off than finding a bird. I am 100% sure it was zero training. Both dogs just one day were sent to "a farm". No interwebs back then for training tips and tricks and they were pretty much thinking the dogs would figure it out themselves like a beagle. My dad was never a bird dog guy... but he was a big beagle trial guy... With a good beagle in a field trial you pretty much put it on the send of a rabbit and let it track. I spend much of my childhood hanging out at Beagle field trials. Big party after every trial in the clubhouse. Not much training involved with beagles except keeping them quite in the kennels.

Anyway, the above childhood experience ruined the idea of ever owning a Brittany Spaniel.

4. ALMODUX

LOL That's the exact opposite of my personal Brittany experience, though I'd readily admit to being around a lot of so called 'American' Brittanies that resemble that. Point being: there's brittanies and then there's brittanies, just like there's setters then there's Llewelyns, trial GSPs and versatile GSPs, and there's pointers then there's true Wehle dogs. You gotta watch your step with pointing breeds. Unlike retrievers (somewhat), trials have ruined a lot of pointing bloodlines for foot hunters these days. Actually, you might get closer with the French Brittanies, these days. Best of luck, whatever you pick.

5. HUNT24/7

HUNT24/7 Senior Refuge Member

Don't pay much attention to that article, its complete bs, any dog if not taken care of properly will have a long list of problems, doesn't matter the breed.
    I think the PP would be a much better fit than a DD given your current situation, similar to the DD but more toned down is what I've seen personally. But I haven't seen near as many as 3D has so my experience with them is limited.

Constructeur likes this.
  6. Laboratory

This is my thinking.

My Dad and brother's Brittany issues were all about lack of training.

7. ALMODUX

Gotcha, but just pointing out the differences within each pointing breed in runners vs workers. My brit made a living on singles to triples of scattered covies from trial dogs.

Laboratory likes this.
  8. Laboratory

I am really enjoying the great information in this thread. I got way more input and information then I was expecting.

I still need to work on the wife about having a new hunting dog coming up behind my retired lab. I was looking at next spring as the ideal time to lobby for a new pup but that would mean no serious hunting with MY dog fall 2018. Also, the idea of potty training as winter rolls in does not appeal, much easier to wake up and let the dog out while standing in my boxers outside!

9. ALMODUX

LOL. Same boat here. Looking for a spaniel/flusher myself.

10. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

I got a chance to judge a few PPs in JGHV tests.

I saw exceptional noses, incredible field search, great manners on birds....

They were a little soft on furred game, which isn't a big issue for me.

My DD is out of PP motherliness Ortfeld-Helerthal-Katerneck, mainly because judging the PPs got me thinking that way. Right now, the more popular kennels are breeding on PP motherliness.

Her temperament, pointing, and retrieving are off the charts in my opinion/experience.

BTW, my current DD was whelped in February and I shot ducks, pheasants, and grouse over her in October of that year.

These are not Labs!

A spring DD pup is a serious fall hunter. Not because of training but because of exposure!

3ds

3ds

3ds

Laboratory likes this.