Advice on next dog (long question)

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Laboratory, Sep 12, 2017.

1. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

I can remember a few gentleman who approached hunting dogs that same way. zero training and the dog was suppose to figure it out. If dog didn,t work out it was because they got a bad dog.
    Kind of makes me want to hook an e collar up on them ! 99% of dogs will be know better than how well they,re trained is my believe. A lot of the time its the dogs owner that needs the training as much as the dog!

2. Laboratory

Laboratory Senior Refuge Member

At least teach basic obedience. During neighborhood walks, my dog has been attacked by other dogs several times, owner straining at leash their dog snarling - owner on their heels saying "sorry, sorry". My dog at heel, no leash, ignores their dog unless the other dog gets loose. A few times while not in a forgiving mood I have said something like "How about you train your dog instead of apologize". I now walk my dog at dark so I don't run into other people walking their dogs. I think the main problem is people don't want to be mean to their dog by doing some serious training so everyone suffers.

3. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Just like their kids. Folks with disciplined dogs have probably demanded the same from their kids. All those expectations/learned behavior start early on the small things. Social discipline/exposure/training is easily as important to me as any of our current trial retrieving conformity. Dogs and kids both love known limits and unsurprising situations/confidence in surroundings.

4. sbezoey

sbezoey Refuge Member

Here's my DD with my son and grandson. She's on lead because we are at a reception with older folk and she's 8 months old, didn't want anybody to trip over her. She's a sweetheart.
    IMG_0353.JPG

HUNT24/7 likes this.
  5. sbezoey

sbezoey Refuge Member

IMG_0351.JPG Here she is with my father in laws British lab. They get along great, both females.

6. sbezoey

sbezoey Refuge Member

If you have time to socialize and give your dog exposure you can't go wrong with a DD. They need about a hour of exercise every day. A very versatile dog, you'll be amazed at how good they are.

7. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Best bird dogs we ever owned learned from other bird dogs. Of course quail were everywhere and we hunted a lot. They got a little basic OB then got ran with seasoned dogs and that is how everybody did it. Nobody had e-collars either.

8. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

And I did exactly the same years ago with first setter I owned. No e collar but a lot of cussing and whistleing! Found a better way by the time I was on second dog. Still exposure to birds is the best medicine for a pointer how ever you go about it. Retreiver a little different ball game and I,.ve known gentleman who approached it same way . With poor results.

9. Constructeur

Constructeur Senior Refuge Member

Laboratory,

If you're curious about PP's then you owe it to yourself to check them out. No harm in burning up a Saturday visiting a kennel IMO.
    I have a shorthair currently, focus on NAVHDA training with supplementation of HRC work to help out on migrators and will be switching to Pudelpointers from here on out.

10. Laboratory

Laboratory Senior Refuge Member

I have decided on getting a PP, finding one within the next two years will be a huge challenge. Few breeders that meet standards and those that do have few potential litters. Sounds like I could be on a 12 to 18 month waiting list st best. PM me if you know of a Midwestern breeder worth looking into. Bob does not ship puppies even if one ever became available. I see why people move on to gwps. I'll find a good one even if I have to wait two years.

HUNT24/7 likes this.