Advice on next dog (long question)

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Laboratory, Sep 12, 2017.

1. HUNT24/7

HUNT24/7 Senior Refuge Member

Awesome!
    Sounds like a solid choice for your situation, there are other forums dedicated to versatile breeds with tons of information. Don't limit your breeder by location, you've got tons of time to research breeders & it won't take long to find out who the best ones are, then chose one & get on the list!!!

Laboratory and Constructeur like this.
  2. Constructeur

Constructeur Senior Refuge Member

It sounds like you already know that Bob is square one when it comes to PP's. I'd ask him about breedings/litter suggestions to be quite honest.
    Another research source is NAPPA, http://www.pudelpointer.org

Let us know how you get on with the process :tu

HUNT24/7 likes this.
  3. Laboratory

Laboratory Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Talked to a guy that Bob recommended to contact fairly close to me. Good start, the wheels are turning. Target date is by early next summer.

Constructeur and HUNT24/7 like this.
  4. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

Steve Boren sent me a note several weeks ago that he was having a litter... might give him a call.

I judged two of his dogs some time ago and they got my wheels spinning about a PP. They were really nice. Super noses, field work, etc. And a "Bob" dog would be no question in my mind.

Glad you made the move.

Please keep in touch... will be interested in how the pup progresses.

3ds

Constructeur and Laboratory like this.
  5. jbrown

jbrown Elite Refuge Member

I've hunted quail for 60 years and owned several different breeds of bird dogs through the years. After I retired, I went to work for a friend as a quail hunting guide at his Ga quail plantation. Ive been guiding for the last 14 years. Different breeds of bird dog all have pros and cons, you need to pick a breed that best suits the terrain you hunt and temperment you want your dog to have. English Pointers run big, most are not born retrievers, some GSP are big running dogs and most German dogs are born retrievers, they also like water. The Drahthaar usually run smaller, born retrievers and love water, great in colder weather. Setters usually don't run as big as Pointers, they retrieve well, can take cold, but seem to get hotter than the others. I've never hunted a PP, I can't speak about them. Most Pointers are not big on affection, they just want to run and point. Most German dogs love affection and can make good house dogs. You must weigh the pro's and con's, pick the best breed for how you hunt. If you hunt big open country, get a pointer or big running GSP, as a rule of thumb, the more ground the dog covers the more birds he has a chance to point. If your cover is thick, pick a dog that is suited to hunt closer to you. My favorite bird dogs are pointers, second is the GSP. If I could only have one, it would be GSP or Drahttaar. The Drahttaar would be the best combo for quail and ducks.

sbezoey likes this.