Advice on upland vest

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Colodiver, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I have a Filson, and as over-priced as they are, I would replace mine.

I used to want a vest that carried and did everything (including the hydration pack)... Those hydration packs are a pain to clean, and I am not at all excited about sharing a water tube with my dog...

I went back to my Filson, and bought a cheap bright orange backpack... I can comfortably carry all the water, food, snacks, binoculars, etc., in the backpack much more easily than I can in any vest... I also carry a small plastic bowl, and the dogs waste much less water drinking out of a bowl than those tubes, so I do not have to carry as much water.

The Filson has great little pockets for gloves, GPS, calls (i.e. quail call locator), small binoculars (or any other small item want to be quickly accessible), and it has a loop on the strap to clip a dog collar transmitter... And, the one I have has front-loading game pouch... I will never buy another vest for quail/chuckar that is not front-loading after owning one.

http://www.filson.com/products/pro-...alsProduct=activity/hunting&fmetaProduct=aa13

I was a bit astonished to see that they jacked up the price... Mine is a similar vest to the link above, but I purchased it for $115 (and I thought I was paying a lot then)...

2. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I've got the LL Bean vest. It suits me just fine when I walk in the desert looking for sage grouse. I also use it chukar hunting.

3. jager

jager Refuge Member

Colodiver , just happened to see this thread. I bought a Wing Works for this past season . All I can say is it's a real sweet vest . Built like a tank , made in the USA , Idaho . very comfortable , can carry plenty of water for dog & self , I find it has plenty of zippered storage pocket space , large easy access game bag & deep no spill shell pouches . The iPhone pouch I modified to make it bigger to fit my iPhone with Otterbox Defender case . I also made a pouch to hold my Garmin Alpha transmitter it sit's on the same strap below the Iphone pouch with a lanyard attached to a D ring . I don't think you'll find a better , more well made vest to fit your need's than a Wing Work's vest . It's a vest you'll pass on to your kid's . Good Luck & Good Hunting ........... George

4. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I have that same vest...

It is light and great for warm weather... However, you'd better get all the blood off that mesh or it will rot... I had this happen to me, and they did send me another vest.

I use mine for dove and pigeons, and tend not to even use the game-bag for birds anymore as my dove go into a cooler or baggy, and pigeons go into trash bags (although not to be thrown away, but because we get so many).

Not a great vest if you are a serious upland hunter (chuckar, quail, etc.). No extra pockets for anything, and not front-loading... I really like being able to stuff the bird in the front of the vest without having to reach around or take the vest off (especially when you are running and gunning). I also like the loops on my upland vest to hang the transmitter and quail calls, as well as the extra pockets for a walkie-talkie, GPS, and small binoculars.

Shell loops are also nice so that I can carry separate loads and easily know which loads are which (high-base loads go in the loops, other shells free in the pockets).

It is a well-made and durable vest, and I do love the smell of a Filson (as do my dogs).:D... But this vest is a no frills no thrills vest simply to hold shells and birds.

6. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

7. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

Boyt Harness Co out of Iowa? They make good stuff - I have a couple of their soft padded gun cases. :tu

8. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Same here... a couple of gun cases. Wish I'd gotten more when I had a wholesale source.

9. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

Best upland hunting vest I have ever used is Carhart upland vest..if you can find one. Made out of heavy cotton duck, pockets are big enough to carry anything you want, has shell loops in pockets and a cleanable game bag on back. I've had mine for years (almost decades), extremely durable and not priced to high.
    But like I said they are hard to find carhart only makes them every few years.

10. 2point

2point Senior Refuge Member

These are the best in my opinion. Spendy, but will last you a life time and the most comfortable best riding unit you will ever find. I love mine. Custom made for you. I had a big water bottle and 8 pheasants in mine (preserve hunt) this weekend and had no weight on my shoulders. Love it.

http://wingworks.biz/