Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Aerial Archery Prototype Testers Needed - Duck Hunting

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by oxnam, Dec 2, 2016.

1. oxnam

oxnam Senior Refuge Member

I need duck hunters for testing a new archery prototype. I have designed a new type of synthetic fletching for an arrow that slows the arrows like full-length feathers on flu flu arrows. It's plastic and slides onto the back end of a bare arrow shaft. It is made to be shot off of a compound bow with a drop-away rest. So far, performance has been great. I am shooting a Mathews No Cam set to 65#. My arrows outfitted with the prototype shoot right at 100yds when shot at a high angle. My 65# longbow, with a 6 fletch flu flu flies just about the same distance. Shooting at lower angles greatly reduces the arrow retrieval distance. I designed it for duck hunting and know many of you also archery hunt. Most of the progress has been posted on Aerial Archers but I thought it would be more fun to find local hunters that might be interested. Here are a couple videos introducing the prototypes and initial target testing . Let me know if you would like to get involved.

Roy G. likes this.
  2. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

very cool idea... wish I shot bows with rest so I could test it for ya... I shoot off the shelve...

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I wasnt even sure it is legal ? Ive wanted to kill a goose with a sling shot,. Im shooting a Mathews 06 solo-cam and the same TN GT arrow I missed a bull elk shooting from a box blind,.. And my small goose pit isnt going to work!
    I will watch a few more of your Ytubes

4. oxnam

I actually bought the Mathews to develop the prototype because everything else I had was longbows and recurves and those are really hard to shoot while floating in a kayak.

5. oxnam

Always painful missing a bull. Archery hunting for waterfowl is legal though I don't think you can hunt them with a slingshot. If you are shooting a drop away and want to try some aerial shooting let me know.

6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Im shooting a drop away, Ill probably buy your fetching when they are available , a grouse arrow. But I dont plan to aerial shoot

7. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

I have some wheel bows but everything I own is set up for bowfishing... I'm not a big game shooter so a drop away would be pointless for me... I was shooting birds with my bowfishing Oneida Osprey bows but then found out that I can not use my reel or line... I know the guys with Browns Waterfowl Calls are big into shooting birds with there bows... but they are doing it in the fields and not many are shot out of the air...

8. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Just saw this but there are some guys in the Washington forum that bow hunt for ducks a lot. One guy on there can't use a shot gun because oh a bad shoulder but can still use a bow. He might be someone willing to test it out for you. Cool looking product!

9. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho Moderator Flyway Manager

That's a good idea - though I don't shoot with a drop-away... bummer.

10. oxnam

Why can you use your reel or line? I rigged up a reel and line just for such hunting. I will look up Brown's Waterfowl Calls, are they local?