Aerial Surveys

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Duck Enticer, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Duck Enticer

Duck Enticer Elite Refuge Member

Good afternoon Larry,

How are the surveys going on a general level? Able to get clear skies? I know it was foggy at the beginning of the week. No mechanical difficulties I hope. Are you seeing anything appreciable that you could give the heads up on? Anything abnormal? Thanks.

2. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

Monday went fine. Got a late start yesterday because of fog/low clouds, and we were grounded today. Actually, we got out of Baton Rouge about 11:00 and fought a low ceiling for over an hour trying to get on a transect line, any transect line, before returning to the airport. Near-missed a couple of cell-phone towers before wising up.

We have 9 of 28 lines left to fly, all in SE LA. Finished SW and Catahoula Lake. Crunching the SW numbers now, so don't have a total, but we saw good numbers of gadwalls south of West Cove of Lake Calcasieu, on the East Cove Unit of Cameron Prairie NWR, and on Rockefeller south of Hwy 82. Another big bunch of teal was seen west of Gueydan, but off the line, and a few flocks of non-divers were stacked up on open water of White Lake and Vermilion Bay, which typically means they just arrived.

Catahoula was very poor ..... probably the fewest birds I've ever seen there in November when the lake wasn't flooded out. Besides good water levels, the habitat conditions are very poor; my guys doing the annual vegetation survey in October reported it was the worst they have seen it since we started those surveys back in 2010.

Hopefully, we get the aerial waterfowl survey done tomorrow, and I get the short report out late-Thursday/early-Friday. Because of the holiday on Friday, NW will have to be delayed until next week when NE is scheduled to be done.

Just saw a report from Illinois Natural History Survey ...... see http://wwx.inhs.illinois.edu/files/5415/1010/4787/November_7_2017_Week_8_Blog.pdf 146% over the 10-year average and an 86% increase from last week ..... that will get the locals pumped up. And it might mean good things for us as well.

3. DU4life

DU4life Senior Refuge Member

What' the goose numbers look like?

4. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

Don't know in LA. Geese flush from the plane so early that we can't maintain a 200-meter transect width. The only credible goose data come the NE survey, which is next week, or the January mid-winter inventory, which includes a cruise survey for geese in the coastal prairies and marshes.

The fall survey in SK was down, but the birds moved out of the Arctic late this year, and we suspect we missed a bunch. White-fronts arrived later here as well compared to the last 2 years we've been trapping/marking them. But hunting reports thus far this week have been good.

5. DU4life

DU4life Senior Refuge Member

What' the word?

6. DComeaux

DComeaux Senior Refuge Member

There's 45 ducks SW of Pecan Island, and 4 in Catahoula.

Duck Enticer likes this.