Air riffle

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by fcaron, Mar 5, 2013.

1. fcaron

fcaron Senior Refuge Member

What's the best air riffle on the market?

2. rascal

rascal Elite Refuge Member

Can't say it's the best on the market or not but I bought a 22 cal. Benjamin maurader package last year and have been very pleased. After sighting it in with some 21.3 grain baracuda pellets she'll put 10 in a .3" group at 25 yards. Plenty enough power to kill a coon. Accurate enough to put one in the ear hole of peach tree robbing squirrels in the back yard and the fully shrouded barrel and built in suppressor makes it so quiet that the pellet impact on skull is louder than the report. Quiet was a big deal for me since shooting a pellet gun in town carries the same penalty as shooting a gun.

3. fcaron

thanks for the reply. I've seen the Hatsan sniper on their website and it seems to be interesting....

4. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

I've got a Gamo varmint hunter and like it. It is about like shooting a 22 long rifle, I think Gamo makes better more high powered quieter ones now. I use mine to shoot squirrels off my deer feeder and for in town "varmint" control.

Have heard good things about Benjamin.

5. fcaron

Me too.

I looked at Gamo but I read some bad reviews (On cabelas web site but i'm not sure). So you're satisfied with yours?

6. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

Ya, it's fine. I don't try and shoot wild hogs with it like the videos show but it knocks squirrels, bunnies, birds a few groundhogs and stray cats down like a 22 using the raptor pellets.
    I think they cost plenty but if you want a quieter non "firearm" rifle it will cost. I could have bought a Savage Axis or Marlin XL7 for what I paid for mine.

Like I said I think the newer Gamo's are even quieter and faster, bought mine around three years ago.

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I am looking for a pellet gun as well, and probably have less knowledge than anyone posting...

I had a Benjamin as a kid, but the compressor kept leaking...

I looked at the Marauder and was surprised at how cumbersome this thing is:

My buddy has a cheap Gamo, (I don't know which model), but it is loud and has a ton of vibration when you shoot...

So, hopefully not to hijack, but to add to the OP?s original post which guns are currently considered the best for accuracy, power, and quietness (without paying more than I did for my shotgun)? To my knowledge the choices include:

1. Pneumatic airguns, which include Multi-Stroke or ?pump-up? style guns.
    2. Spring-Piston airguns (such as has been made popular by the likes of Beeman)
    3. CO2 airguns

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? What would be the best choice for the occasional shooter who does want a quiet rifle to kill opposums, rats, and crows inside city limits?

8. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I stopped by a pawn shop the other day and bought a nearly new one for 80 bucks. It's a Gamo Carbine 850. Not as fast as some but it shoots in the 600=800 FPS range. It came with a cheap scope but I can shoot 1" groups at 30 yds.

From what I've read, it takes about 1000 shots before spring type guns start shooting their best. And the pellet makes a lot of difference.

No complaints after 100+ shots. It's easy to shoot and not too loud.

9. squawcommander

squawcommander Senior Refuge Member

I love my Falcon Lighthunter .22 cal
    [​IMG]

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager