Air riffle

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by fcaron, Mar 5, 2013.

1. fcaron

fcaron Senior Refuge Member

A local dealer told me Diana is a good all around product. This is german made and there's a distributor in Canada. I sent an email to request information and got a quick reply so it seems they care about customer service. There's certainly a lot of good riffles out there but I think I made my mind with Diana. :tu

2. fcaron

fcaron Senior Refuge Member

what's the make and model? Looks good!

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Benjamin Trail NP (Nitro Piston) All Weather Air Rifle With Scope- .22 Cal

http://www.airgundepot.com/benjamin-trail-np-air-rifle.html

It got 4.5 out of 5 on 22 reviews.
    I was shooting into a 3/4 inch of plywood that is very dense. After a few shots I went to see what the gun had done to the wood. It does not feel like a spring powered gun nor does it sound like one. I thought that it may not have the punch I was looking for. Upon examination I found I blew the hell out of my fence and the plywood looked as if a 22 rim fire had hit it. I doubled up on the plywood to 1-1/2 inches thick and the pellets still went through with ease. I am shooting 22 cal. Gamo Rockets and wow! My last three shots were in a dot the size of a dime and all three were touching to make one hole with room to spare.

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I looked up reviews on this gun as well...

Universally agreed that it has a long and poor trigger pull.

It also seems that the screws can come loose, and for the avid shooters, they claim that with modifications (that I am not capable of) that this gun can be accurate and fun to shoot...

I would still love to hear from anyone here with experience on the following:

I am not liking the idea of spending $500 on a pellet gun... Any recommendations for a reasonable priced air rifle capable of killing small game accurately?

5. Squaller

I have been doing a little research. I have found Pyramyd Air to be a great resource for air rifles...

As well as CO2 air rifles, there are rifles that are called pre-charged... You have to use a compressor or pump to fill them up...

I looked up the Falcon mentioned by Squawcommander, and it is indeed a tac driver... Well made gun (from England)... Cost is about $900 to $1,000....

I also looked at Benjamin rifles, and I have to say that for the price the Discovery is a great weapon for the price (at about $260)... However the Benjamin Marauder Air Rifle is really impressive and less than half the price of the Falcon (about $460)... The Falcon is a lighter gun, but the safety has some serious advantages with the Marauder (the safety on the Falcon is apparently on the left side and must be turned back on/off with the left hand)... Also special adapters are needed to fill the Falcon, and I imagine that parts might be an issue...

Here is a link to Pyramyd as well as a link to the Benjamin rifles:

http://www.pyramydair.com

http://www.pyramydair.com/search-re...sionid=9FD9207C8D78BBE96A449D0473992B8B.app01

6. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I would like to know if there is an accurate pellet gun out there. My experience with them in recent years has been awful. All were .177 caliber.

1) Bought a Gamo youth model for $100 about 8 years ago. Fairly accurate but with the occasional flyer.

2) Bought a 1000 fps Winchester about 5 years ago. The 6 inch group with 10 shots as 10 yards made me take it back within the hour.

3) Bought a 1000 fps brand that I can't remember and it grouped bad. I could not stand it so I gave it away.

4) Just bought a 1300 fps Gamo Whisper the other day. (At least you can still find pellets on the shelf). I've shot 150 rounds thru it and I can't get it dialed in. Really frustrating.

The trouble with .177 is I can't see the pellet.

With my Benjamin 10 pump that I grew up with, I could see the .22 pellet do a gentle half-corkscrew thru the air and so I was able to eventually compensate and I became one with the gun.

7. Squaller

As I stated, I have done a bit of research...

If you look at my links above you will be impressed with the Benjamin Discovery at About $260... It is a pre-loaded air rifle (meaning you fill the air container in the rifle before going out)... It will fire about 25 pellets (I believe) before needing to be refilled.

Now The Benjamin Marauder is the real deal... It is also a pre-loaded rifle, but it has a baffling system to quiet things down considerably... It also comes with a 10-pellet clip and is essentially a repeater... It would appear that this gun is a tac driver... It runs about $460...

Looking on some of the air rifle boards, it would appear that you need to put about 1000 pellets through a spring-cocking rifle (such as the gamo) before it will start to group. It would also seem that the pellets make a huge difference for each rifle (which is also true of most of them)...

Also, it would appear on a lot of the spring-cocking rifle you should check and tighten all the screws on the rifle before tightening... Apparently Gamo (along with some others) are notorious for having screws loose, seriously effecting accuracy....

Look at the links I posted above...

8. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Squaller. I will check out the links you provided.

9. Squaller

Ok...

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have had the chance to do a bit of research... Talked to several people who shoot pellet rifles fairly avidly...

Almost universally the Benjamin Marauder is the gun mentioned as the best gun at the best value... 40-50 yard shots are common place, and with the right shooter and pellet longer consistent shots are not out of the question... It is a tack driver, and it is extremely quiet... Most who hunt with it say that the pellet hitting the quarry is far louder than the gun itself, with the sound of the rifle being compared to a "mouse fart."

Talking to several people, all recommend going to Pyramyd Air as the service and knowledge is great... Also it has been recommended to have at least two clips for the gun... And apparently the best and cheapest way to fill the gun is to buy a cheap used scuba tank, as the hand pump takes about 20 minutes of "work."

Out of everyone I talked to the .22 cal was recommended unanimously... Still easy to find pellets, with better knock-down power than the .177 cal... The .25 cal apparently is far more difficult to find pellets for...

Looks like I will be saving up for one... Quiet, powerful, accurate gun... With the disadvantages of needing a method to fill it... And of course having to pay $450 for a pellet rifle.:doh

10. SMF

SMF Senior Refuge Member

A Beeman R7 is my choice. It's not the most powerful air rifle in the world, but don't tell that to the pile of dead rabbits I've killed near my garden. It's really fun to shoot and I shoot it often enough that I am a better shot for having purchased it. They have one of the best triggers (REKKORD) I have ever shot in ANY type of rifle and it will shoot into 1 hole at 20 yards if I do my part (I use RWS hobby pellets). The R-1 is it's big brother and a .22 version would be well suited for vermin control out to 30-40 yards. My R7 is a 25 yard gun, but in town that is a good thing. I had a Diana 34, it was OK, but not the gun the R-7 is.

The Benjamin rifle sounds interesting, but I don't know if I would shoot it as much as my Spring Air gun. (with all the clips and whatnot.). It does take a little adjustment learning how to shoot a spring gun. I probably shot 3000 + rounds through the rifle last year. All of them were in my basement or back yard.

Pyramid air is a good shop.