Airbrush with Latex?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by fowlogic, Apr 3, 2018.

1. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

Does airbrush painting with latex work out? I've used oil-based paint namely Parker's, but haven't tried latex. Neighbor wants to re-paint floater Canada's into Specks. He wants to use latex. I'm thinking Snow Goose Warehouse Bird Vision Latex since it's made for decoys and they have a primer paint. I tried contacting them to no avail. Don't wanna play phone tag. I have a Badger 200 with medium tip. Would a heavy be better? Thanks, Bob

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I'm anything but an airbrushing expert, but if you dig around some, there are youtubes on it. One I recall suggests thinning with Windex.

aka quackshot and ED Vanderbeck like this.
  3. aka quackshot

aka quackshot Senior Refuge Member

I airbrush with latex and use windex for thinning. It will not spray as nice as the oil base paint.

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

What is a decent starter level airbrush? Brand, model, cost?

5. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Badger is good. Paasche is probably highest quality with several different models. Not an expert by any means but have used a few. I would recommend a dual action whichever brand you go with.

www.paascheairbrush.com

6. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Waterdog is right about Badger and Paasche you can't really go wrong with either. If you want a true beginning one check out Harbor Freight deluxe air brush. The badger and paasche will run you 70-150 bucks but the Harbor freight one can be had for 15 bucks.

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Thank you for the info. I think I'll stay away from the $15 option because it most likely performs like it's price. Is there a certain model of Badger or Paasche you would recommend?

8. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Don Mintz, Bill Skopelja and a couple others on the decoy flockers facebook page has done reviews on it and it seemed all were impressed based on the price. I just picked one up as a back up, for the price why not? haha

The Badger Cresendo is a very nice air brush. It is a little heavy compared to the others but I actually preferred that.
    For Paasche the VL is a really good air brush and I believe the one Don recommends either on here or on his videos I can't remember.

I can only recommend siphon feed air brushes since I really dislike gravity feed ones so I try to stay away from them. One last tip is try to always use the medium sized needle. I haven't had much luck with a fine needle. I tried it once to try finer lines and I just couldn't thin rustoleum out enough to get it to go through.

aka quackshot likes this.
  9. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I use a paasche vl with the #3 tip, but you'd want a #5 for the heavier water based stuff. I do have a harbor freight, but only used it enough to test it, just got it free from my older son. It works, but it's more along the lines of a fine tip paasche, which is more for inks and thin material. Get a double action, it's much more versatile. The water based stuff kind of depends on where you live and humidity levels. I used a lot of hydromist (water base) in my taxidermy days back in Kansas, but it doesn't flow well here in Idaho. You can get a paasche vl for under $75 online at several places and parts are easy to find as well, you'll bend needles and tips from time to time. Get bottles that have the wide bottom, when painting decoys you need a volume of paint and 3 oz. work well and will stand with a brush on them. It's rare that I run an airbrush anymore, only a couple of days a year painting crane decoys. I used to run an airbrush 50 hours a week for 14 years and that was before I started making decoys. I've warn out a few of the paasche vl's, but they are a real work horse. I've painted with oil based enamel, water based hydromist, inks, lacquer based lifetone, hand thinned acrylics, and urethane acrylic auto paint as well as a few others and probably have in excess of 40,000 hours behind an airbrush and the paasche vl has been my go to brush. Don't buy an airbrush compressor, any compressor will work, but I use a california air tools quiet compressor, it's not remotely as annoying as an airbrush compressor and still powerful enough to run all of my son's air driven woodworking tools.

10. wooduck26

wooduck26 Elite Refuge Member

I second the Paasche Talon. Very user friendly unit.