Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Alabama hunter

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by cholt, Dec 18, 2017.

1. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

just wondering how many we have on here that still hunt in the state and how everyone’s season has gone so far this year

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have shot at one gadwall. He flew off, but he wasn’t happy. Let enough down to make a comforter. Acted like I didn’t even scratch him.

I haven’t been hunting here much though. Didn’t even hunt here the opener.

3. volsquackhead

volsquackhead Senior Refuge Member

I grew up hunting in AL. However, it has been awhile since I have had the opportunity to get back. I will be back in Bama at the end of season and plan on doing some hunting then, hopefully birds have made it down by then and stay.

4. WK2HNT

WK2HNT Senior Refuge Member

Hunt in Bama half the time and Arkansas the other half. Starting to pick up here. Northeast Alabama private properties.

5. cholt

i miss my private land on Weiss lake I would give anything to be able to take my kids up there about 10 years ago I shot two banded birds on that property and one of the owners sons got jealous and told me it was family hunting only from now own. Too bad for him cause I have talked to them and their dam washed out by musk rats and beavers and now they have no water when the lake drops karma is a ******

volsquackhead likes this.
  6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Hunted the Saturday after opening weekend. Killed 6 gadwalls, saw about 75 total. Saw damn near as many hunters as I did ducks. Now every duck on the Mobile delta, all 200 of them, has found the newly designated refuge area, and they ain’t moving. Duck hunting down here has gone from average to poor to abysmal in the 20 odd years I’ve been hunting down here. Honestly I don’t think it will ever get better. Old timers say they stacked em up even in the 80’s when there supposedly wasn’t any ducks. There was much fewer folks duck hunting then too, so I imagine the overall experience was much more enjoyable.

7. TheDuckSlayer

Had a handful of holes on the upper delta- one was always good for 4 or 5 mallards and a limit of wood ducks, the rest were good for a limit of wood ducks and the odd mallard... made the mistake of showing one of them to a buddy- he shot his first banded duck on that trip, and then he proceeds to take several of his buddies, without me, every day for two weeks (alerting every hunter within miles to where he was at, I went back after they got done ravaging my spot and there was about a case of hulls on the ground)... needless to say, the spot doesn’t hold ducks anymore and he isn’t a friend anymore... I’m sure it would have eventually been found, because all my other honey holes were eventually found, but damn... bottom line there’s just too many people hunting now... they say hunter numbers are declining, but it sure as hell ain’t where I hunt.

8. volsquackhead

volsquackhead Senior Refuge Member

I hate to hear what it has become back home. Growing up on Lake Guntersville a guy/group could have great hunt(s)/year(s)...if you put in the work.

mister gadwall likes this.
  9. cholt

Well g ville is now over run with hunters from Ga thinking they are in Arkansas too many hunters here now now down south I have found some spots in a bay not saying which one but it’s not the mobile all saltwater little brackish been loaded up with birds heading back down south after Christmas and see what’s up

10. TheDuckSlayer

Is it divers? If so I know where you’re talkin bout..

If divers are your thing, check out the retention pond behind Bass Pro Shop in Spanish Fort if you’re ever in the area during duck season. It always has 300-500 bluebills and redheads on it. Obviously can’t hunt there, but kinda neat to look at.