Alabama state race contestants

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by stevena198301, Sep 21, 2017.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Anyone following this? I dislike both Moore and Strange.

Just heard a Roy Moore commercial talking about how he supports immigration enforcement more than Strange. Now, I have no idea Strange's stance on the matter. I just found Moore's position odd, since he was removed from his position as a judge due to not complying with a federal order. Picking and choosing the law, I guess. As for Strange, he'll just keep assisting in kicking the can on down the road. He's the more malleable of the two, and the Rs intend to keep him under their thumb.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  2. eel river

eel river Elite Refuge Member

Have watched this closely. It is a bit amazing that a person who seemingly had such disregard, in the immigration issue, for the rule of law be a serious possible candidate. Both will be kept under the leadership thumb. A continuation of the status quo.

3. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Just from the point of geographical and cultural differences... paying close attention to the details within another state seems remarkable.

4. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

Alabama - a Bellwether for the GOP!
    Stated nobody ever.

You keep your eye on it eel pout. Don't blink.

WHUP ! Hen and Ron Gilmore like this.
  5. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

There's more to it, as there always is, but Moore is gonna run away with it because HE didn't cut a back room deal to stop prosecution of a corrupt governor, and take a senate seat appointment as payment, from same corrupt governor. Moore has ALWAYS made a stand for religion vs judicial authority in direct violation of a religious belief. Agreeing with him is the only issue. He didn't violate a law. He stood against perceived judicial overreach, and he has some firm ground on that. He refused to force others adhere to or act on judicial decisions that violated their faith. First the Ten Commandments plaque which is still present in federal courthouses, then the whole slippery slope of the federal government dictating marriages, much less in contradiction of state law/constitution. All that has been argued around here for years. He's his own man and not afraid to stand up to anyone. Agree or not, he's not a stooge like Strange is. Some will take this as tacit support. It's not meant to be. He's earned respect from many in this state, whether they agreed with him or not, because he was convicted and not corrupted.

6. stevena198301

Good post, ALMO. Few questions I have though:

Is gay marriage not now covered under federal law?
    If so, how does states rights supersede federal law?
    If it does supersede federal law, why doesn't California's new sanctuary state crap not supersede?
    When you say religion vs judicial authority, do you feel he stands up for ALL religions, or just Christianity?

I will absolutely agree, he goes against the grain, and Strange is just gonna keep on playing politics as usual, so that's probably a plus for Moore. But I can't understand anyone backing him because he violated laws and federal court orders (and I'm not implying you are, but I know some who are). It isn't my intent to go back and forth in a pizzing match. I really do want your opinions, as well as others.

7. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Are there any other candidates running to look at??? Unlike eel I am not using a hawks eye to follow the race. However I did see a snipet that Trump is backing Strange and watched some of the debate after seeing this thread. I know little of Strange, but Moore has been someone that I know of because of his stance with the monument. However the debate last night made Moore look in my view a bit deranged.
    I got religious zealot vibe from Moore vs a Christian! Moore would make it entertaining in DC though!!!

We will see if Trump can rally support for Strange since the poll last week showed Moore leading! Friends coming up end of Oct to duck hunt are split in their support.

8. stevena198301

Yes. A Dem. Doug Jones (not for me). Here's the long-winded version, from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_special_election_in_Alabama,_2017

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  9. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Answering with questions isn't intended as snarky, it just helps with perspective on Moore, vs media portrayals and the narrative against him.

Is authority over marriage enumerated to the federal government in the constitution? Is it even legal under the 1st and freedom of religion, for ANY level of government regulation? If Either or both answers are no, then it belongs to the states or the individual citizenry....but not the fed, much less the courts. Therefore, opposing itge federal overreach is a constitutional duty, especially if one is sworn to uphold it.

Is authority over national and border security enumerated in the constitution? Is it delegated/relegated to the states, constitutionally? If the answer to those runs yes and no, respectively, then sanctuary cities are in violation of constitutional federal authorities. Therefore, opposing sanctuary cities is a constitutional duty.

We don't have an Islamic tradition of law or marriages. We have a Judeo-Christian tradition of law and marriage. Therefore, Judge Moore is likely unconcerned with perspectives outside the constitution and freedom of faith, period.

People don't back him because he violated any 'law'. People back him because the authorities are suspect constitutionally, and he stood for the constitution against federal courts, judges, and mandates perceived to be overreach.

10. stevena198301

All valid points...

As for my own opinion, gov't shouldn't be in the marriage bidness (that would also involve tax reform, I reckon), and if a state wants to allow sanctuary cities, they (the state) shouldn't receive federal monies (kinda like if a state wants to allow drinking at 18).

My question IRT him defending religion, it was more of a "what if" of future scenarios, NOT involving Christianity. If he sides with the federal gov't on something opposing said religious freedoms, is he a hypocrite? That is how I'd label him, if he's only concerned about Christianity, and not ALL religions.

*** DANGER! Hypothetical situation here***

Let's say Minneapolis, Minnesota decided they wanted to line the halls of a city building in verses from the Quran, and did it, and the federal gov't said NOPE, and went so far as to have a court order drawn up demanding the removal of verses. Do you feel Roy Moore would agree with the USG ruling, or would he voice opposition, based on religious freedoms?

Reason I ask, eventually something like that scenario will happen. And if he sides with the USG, where does that leave him?