Alaska trip

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by lad52, Jun 1, 2003.

1. lad52

lad52 Elite Refuge Member

My wife has agreed to dump the kids at my parents house for a week so we can go to Alaska.

In addition to the sightseeing thing, we would like to hunt ducks, geese and do some fishing while there. Can anyone recommend a time of year to visit, guides to use for the respective activities, and areas to hunt, fish, see?

Thanks

2. Blackbart

Blackbart Elite Refuge Member

Try Gary at 907-244-9098 or 907-563-8797. Tell him Tim from Seattle sent you. He's a good guide and does everything from Halibut to Ducks.

3. lad52

Thank you brother. I'll give him a call.

Cheers,

Dusty

4. dood

dood Elite Refuge Member

September is supposed to be a good time for hunting and fishing.

5. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I spent 10 days in late Sept early Oct. on Prince of Wales Island. Wasnt enough time for it all. Ducks, geese, salmon, steelhead, deer, bear, saltwater fishing, dollies, cutts, etc. etc.

6. lad52

My wife is being cool, but she ain't going for all of that on this trip. I'm counting my self lucky to get to hunt for some ducks we don't get at home... maybe shoot a goose or two and do a little fishing.

I'll go back in 4 or 5 years with my boy for the bear and moose trip. Man! Brown bears is getting pricey!

7. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

sightseeing, hunting and fishing, all in a week. Your going to be busy! Time of year. September 1 is when the duck/goose season opens up so that would give you a time frame. I am most familiar with South Central and interior Alaska with fishing /duck hunting. Actually I am hunting ducks and geese that time of year and normally have already put up the fishing gear for the season. Most of the big runs will have already wound up that time of year but a fair number of silvers are still coming in. Lots of trout, both dollies and rainbows in most of the streams that have had salmon runs. As for ducks, the big Su flats, hay flats are traditional areas for ducks and geese in the south central (anchorage) area and Minto, tanana river, delta are areas closer to interior (Fairbanks). When you get a more specific area picked out, I will tell you what I know.

8. dekecarver

dekecarver Elite Refuge Member

lad 52, check with john latham, master guide, yakutat, alaska. i've hunted with him, and a combo fishing, duck hunting trip or just fishing, or just duck hunting are all easy possibilities. and yes, he does do big game. the accomodations are great, and he and his wife fran are very friendly and warm people. his # is 907-784-3287. tell him pat o recomended him.

9. lad52

Thanks boys for all the help. I hope my wife is looking forward to this half as much as I am.

Dusty