Alaska visit July 12th-19th Ideas/help/trade

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Petterson, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Petterson

Petterson Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys, I?ve got a few questions for you up in Alaska. I am going to be headed out on a cruise July 12-19th and our ports of call are: Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm Fjord, Victoria B.C. I was wondering if any of you had any insight about some good things to do up there while we are in port. 2 of the days we are in port for 12 hours so plenty of time to look around, but Im looking for adventure. Does anyone know of any bungee jumping at any of these ports? Zip lines? Anything fun with adventure? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Also, is there ANY kind of bird hunting up there near these ports during this time? Or is anyone planning on going out for salmon/halibut? I would gladly trade a Canada goose hunt here in Eastern Washington, or attempt to get you a redhead (they are here between a day and week at a time so they are tougher then geese) sometime if I could jump on the boat with you depending on when you?re going and when we arrive.

Looking for as much info as I can get, I appreciate all the help from you guys and look forward to hearing more about what to do while were up there.

2. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

There are some pretty good AK cruise questions and answers all over the refuge. There are a couple guys down in Juneau, and maybe one or two guys further south. We locals don't do much tourist oriented activities. When several thousand people show up to your town in one day you tend to avoid all that.

There is a zip line over in Hoonah, but you are not going that far west if its a large ship. Juneau has a tram that goes to the top of a hill over looking town. Sometimes a tourist dies on a hike back down. Don't know if that is adventure related or just stupid tourist stuff.

The only bungee jumping that I am aware of takes place on the road to McCarthy using some old rail road bridges. All in use bridges are illegal to jump from. There are not a lot of roads in southeast so not many bridges. Sitka has a bridge you can jump from and swim to shore.

Go sea kayaking around Petersburg or Wrangle.

For the longer days in port there will be several fishing charters at the dock. Some are contracted through the ship and others are not. Make sure they can get you back to your boat in time or you will be on the hook for a flight to the next port.

3. Petterson

Petterson Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Ray. We will be doing 2 zip lines in Skagway and I think finding things to do throughout town. I don't want to spend the whole bankroll at each port so the zip line will be our only expensive adventurer.

I will look into the sea kayaking.

As far as salmon goes, i just can't justify it. Its going to be $200 for license and shipping fish home, which equalls out to about 5 trips for me to catch em here at home. May not be as bright but Im not one who likes to pay for things I can do myself, thats why I offered to trade someone a hunt for a fishing trip.