Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Alberta-Edmonton Area

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by bigduck10, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Okay, Mann is listed with APOS. How does he qualify for resident status? Or is that necessary for a Bird Outfitter license?

2. Lorne MacDonald

Lorne MacDonald Senior Refuge Member

Paddler

Not positive about Alberta but will take a general stab. Most of the Canadian provinces base 'residency' on living a consecutive # of months in a province . And I'm guessing the fellow you are asking about is meeting these requirements ?

Now , of course there are games played with this as well - when I was in the Yukon a fellow from Quebec 'claimed' he was a resident , bought resident licenses, etc.

Well he would have been cheaper to have paid for a full blown guided trip (@ about 25, 000 US$) by the time Renewable Resources finished up with him.

If you check out the provincial hunting license info , at the top of the page, it should give Alberta's residency requirement

Regards

3. NORSKE

NORSKE Senior Refuge Member

WRONG

Mann and a few others are here under NAFTA as goose callers, bird id er's you name it.

APOS it scared to challenge it the cowards so the us guys just keep coming

NORSKE

4. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

For Canadians in Alberta, there is no length of stay required for residency. All you need is an ALberta address on either your drivers license or health care card to get a resident WIN card.

"Resident - a person who either

has his or her only or primary residence in Alberta and

is a Canadian citizen or is admitted to permanent residence in Canada, or
    has lived in Canada for the 12-month period immediately preceding the relevant date; or
    is on full-time service with the Armed Forces of Canada and would, if an election were held under the Elections Act (Canada), be eligible to vote in Alberta under that Act. "

I was hunting as a resident my first week in Alberta 8 years ago.

So an American who primarily lives in Alberta and has been in Canada for at least 12 months could be considered a resident.

5. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Mann's website shows his company's address as Maryland. It is interesting that the video I downloaded from his site just shows two guys watching geese in a field from their truck, not of an actual hunt.

Perhaps Fish and Wildlife should look into it. Why do you say APOS is afraid to challenge Mann and others like him? It would appear that if you take people hunting and money changes hands, you are a guide or outfitter, regardless of what you call yourself, and you must meet residency requirements.

6. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Just looking at the APOS FAQ's, and it says that in order to be a guide one must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant. It's a little confusing, so I'll post it:

A. To become a Big Game Outfitter you must be eighteen years of age, a Canadian citizen or Landed Immigrant and held a Big Game Guide Designation for twelve calendar months. To become a Bird Outfitter you must be eighteen years of age. In both instances you would also be required to hold $5,000,000 in Public Liability Insurance and an Indemnity Bond.

A. To become a Big Game Guide you must be eighteen years of age, a Canadian citizen or Landed Immigrant and receive recommendation in writing from the Outfitter you will be guiding for. After holding the designation for twelve months, you are then eligible to renew in subsequent years without the written recommendation. The requirements to become a Bird Guide are the same but no letter of recommendation is necessary.

In the first answer, it says that to become a bird outfitter you must be 18, but doesn't state you must be a citizen or landed immigrant. In the second answer, it is clear that to be a bird guide you must meet all the other requirements.

Also, I was asked earlier what would constitue illegal guiding by residents. According to the regs: "...when guiding on any privately held land, requires permission authorizing access from the landholder for conducting those guiding services on that land." I know first hand that guides do not always tell the landowner they will be guiding, thus that would be illegal also.

Finally, something constructive, a recipe for goose called Ropa Vieja (Spanish for Old Clothes):

Two goose breasts
    1 carrot
    1 onion
    6 beef bullion cubes
    olive oil
    butter

Brown the goose in the olive oil and butter, then add water to cover, the carrot, bullion cubes and onion. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and cook till it flakes with a fork, about 4 hours. We now use a pressure cooker, which takes about 90 minutes. Let it cool, then pull into strings.

olive oil
    large onion, diced
    garlic, several cloves, minced
    1 bell pepper, diced
    jalapenos peppers, 2-4, diced
    large can tomatoes
    2 Tbsp tomato paste
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Saute onion, garlic and peppers in olive oil, add tomatoes and paste, then the stringed goose, simmer and serve over spanish rice, with flour tortillas, guacamole, sour cream. Experiment with how many peppers, how much garlic, etc.

7. bigduck10

bigduck10 Senior Refuge Member

I must say that I am pretty stunned that my initial post generated this much feedback.

Over 2000 views! I am pretty proud of that! Your country is great and I am looking forward to coming back no matter what the cost is. Some things are just worth the price.

Bill

8. blackfoot1

blackfoot1 Elite Refuge Member

Ok, lets look at the numbers. There are over 400 outfitters in Alberta. Only 5 or 6 are American owned, mann, wise, me, and two others. That is what 1.5%. HMMMMM... Alberta is being overrun with americans. There were less than 1,000 freelancers last year in Alberta. They were up here for 8-10 weeks, run them from peace river to medicine hat. There were more people in my 10th, 11th, and 12th grade high school. There are more people that walk into the Canadian Tire in Calgary on a Saturday. Did you guys know that the actual number of americans hunting is decreasing, just like canadians. The money that americans bring into a particular econonmy over all is 0. Go to the particular provincial wildlife websites and look at the stats. APOS doesn't allow americans to run big game operations, they do allow americans to get a waterfowl outfitting licence. Things are presently shut down now and no new licenses are being issued. WMU's aren't going for $250, they are/were going for over $500. Did you know that there are over 45 different WMU's that have more than 4 outfitters. Guess what, there are more than 10 that have over 10 outfitters, one has 15. All these WMU's will get kicked to 4 outfitters. Good for you alberta residents, because a lot of outfitters are going out of business in 2006. No one can purchase any more WMU's until after the 2005 season. Looks like they will be bid on. From my understanding, that is what happed to the big game tags for outfitters, anybody raising hell about that??? Did you know that NR aliens can get work visas, they can also get visitor visas, business visas and school visas. They aren't hard to get ya know. Oh, buy the way, there is a lot of information NOT posted on particular websites to keep things from getting out of hand and keep some people from being educated. Have fun, maybe we can get it to 3,000. B

9. Quick Pop

Quick Pop Senior Refuge Member

all i know is that when i come to canada.. I want to hunt with Heath..:z

10. Rem Choke

Rem Choke Senior Refuge Member

After hearing others reply to the previous posts I feel that it's time to add my comments for what little they are worth, so here goes.

My concern was and is the auctioning off of WMU's to the highest bidder. This NOT as anti American war cry to lynch or paint anyone with the wrong color. If the auction was open to only Canadians, then YES, I'd still be ****ed about that sleazy idea. My concern is that everything is for sale, so it would seem. My proposal for the time being is to perhaps 'grandfather in' those who have established themselves as a legitimate outfitter.(???)
    And yes to, someone that posted saying that it is greed on the part of US (CANADIAN)to sell or auction off those WMU'S.

Someone pointed out or asked if SEan Mann was legal/legit as an outfitter. Yes he is as is Wise and some others from what I know.

Last point, someone stated that auctioning off of WMU's has nothing to do with NAFTA. I wrote a letter six or so years ago to then Minister of Sustainable resource Ty Lund about NR outfitters in Alberta and more or less said that it was legal because of the NAFTA agreement.