All dying a slow death...hunting, golf and the Republican Party

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by takemrarely, Dec 24, 2017.

1. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

The exception being the comatose ones.

Bear and JP like this.
  2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

What I’m reading here is the same stuff all my Obama living friends said about Obama over 8 years. They spun everything into a positive. Just as people are doing here. It’s comical in every sense at how identical the blinded ones are on both sides.

3. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Plus les choses changent, plus elles restent les mêmes. :yes

JP likes this.
  4. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Yep...some choices are not the choices you want. I think Utah gives death row inmates their choice of how they want to be executed. We were not to far from that choice this election. :z

5. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

:l

6. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

No spin here......

"This time one year ago, the assumption dominating political coverage was that the only people more stupid than Donald Trump were the deplorables who elected him.

Since then, of course, President-elect Trump has become President Trump.
    Over his 11 months in office, he has put Neil Gorsuch on the Supreme Court and four times as many judges on the appellate courts as Barack Obama did his first year; recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel; withdrawn from the Paris climate accord; adopted a more resolute policy on Afghanistan than the one he’d campaigned on; rolled back the mandate forcing Catholic nuns, among others, to provide employees with contraception and abortifacients; signed legislation to open up drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge; initiated a bold, deregulatory assault on the administrative state—and topped it all off with the first major overhaul of the tax code in more than 30 years.

And yet that Mr. Trump is a very stupid man remains the assumption dominating his press coverage.
    "

http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/trumps-winning-is-getting-old.1029229/

7. buck_master_2001

All of those things listed as accomplishments could be debated as negatives to certain folks. Hence the political divide we are in(which existed well before him). What you or I see as accomplishments might not seem so good to others...depending on what is important to you. Jury is still out on how this tax reform will pan out....in general I don’t believe in trickle down as history has proven the wealth never truly trickles down and is in fact hoarded by the upper echelon.

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I think calling this tax plan "trickle down" may be misleading...

A tax cut for 80% of filers isn't "trickle down". A tax cut only for corporations with the promise said cuts will go back to the employees and lower costs, is "trickle down", IMO.

Po-tay-to, po-tat-o, I reckon...

buck_master_2001 likes this.
  9. buck_master_2001

The trickle down aspect would be referring to cutting corporate taxes and business taxes in general and the overall positive outcome that will come from it. I’m hopeful for a positive outcome but I’m also skeptical as well.

I would like to see some type of infrastructure investment and I’m hoping that is next on their list. I think we can all agree that a lot of our infrastructure is aged and outdated and well beyond its lifespan in a lot of areas.

I would LOVE to see some investment in job training for the future and especially vocational training. You will never motivate everyone but you can motivate a lot of people and people need to understand that a strait 4 year degree where you often load yourself down with lots of debt isn’t always needed or The best option. We have a lot of labor shortages in areas that don’t require a degree but more so vocational training, getting people in those fields will help tremendously.

10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Since I was a kid, I can remember folks making fun of Vo-Tech schools. Maybe making fun isn't the right word... "Looking down on" may be a better term. There was a stigma when I was in school that kids who went to Vo-Tech classes were pretty much just the trashy, poor kids. Now, of course that isn't the case, but at 15, every kid in our school thought so. My much younger brother went the Vo-Tech route, and now has a good starting job at a body shop. He intends to open his own shop once he saves up some money. His little town doesn't have one, where it used to have 2.

You are correct though, we do need a bigger investment in blue-collar jobs (high and low paying). Mike Rowe has done many, many speeches on this subject. Folks often neglect to even look into these types of fields, thinking they are lousy paying, hard work, not worth the effort, etc. Sometimes, that couldn't be further from the truth. A co-worker has a family member who does septic pumping and installation. He said he asked him one time "Man, how do you put up with that smell and all that nastiness?". He said the guy told him, "All I see and smell when I look down into a septic system is money. And LOTS of it.". :l

This conversation reminded me of this Despair poster:
    potentialdemotivator.jpeg