All dying a slow death...hunting, golf and the Republican Party

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by takemrarely, Dec 24, 2017.

1. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Everyone involved in working to make a living has to deal with a lot of crap to succeed.

Bear likes this.
  2. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Vo-Cats rule!!!

3. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

I was a student of Vo-Tech (1972-73). I took Drafting because my Father didn't want me working in a Machine Shop like him. After a few years in a Foundry. I landed a Drafting job w/the City Traffic Eng'ing Dept. under the CETA program. This is the ONLY thing I can thank Jimmy Carter & the Democrats. After Reagan I became a Republican/Right winger! :yes IMO there is NOTHING wrong in Vo-Tech training.

yellowlab03, stevena198301 and Bear like this.
  4. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Nothing at all. My Dad was a very highly respected Registered Professional Mechanical Engineer. He would consult with techs to fix a problem with multi-million dollar systems that hundreds of lives sometimes depended on.

Many tech jobs now require an Associates degree. Both insurance and industry started demanding that.

That and like Dad knew. No one can screw up a piece of equipment like an engineer that then requires a technician to fix it.

5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

I've work w/some good & bad Graduate/P.E. Engineer's and what you've written is so true. Some of the Engineers (the ones I liked) actually would help me w/mathematics and formulas that was a bit over my head. These guys weren't of the school: "I'm an Engineer and you're not!" Those kinda Engineers were IMO A-Holes! Also most Graduate Engineers had terrible hand writing- draftsman to to rescue!! :l:l:l

6. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Agreed. They had a bad rep for sure. That can be fixed with good marketing. Look at new home construction. Joke prices are soaring because builders can’t build. What’s their number one complaint? Shortage of workers. Trying to get workers into this field is hard because of the rep behind it. That should drive wages up, but rarely do wages ever drive up like they are supposed to.

7. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Could that shortage also be because of the storm and fire damage rebuilding almost all at once?

8. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

That’s just what home builders nationwide have stated all year and are saying it will continue to be an issue next year.

9. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

I have never figured out why people in construction would not want to be unionized? Lots of folks can say unions are bad, but I like what I read in Rich Dad, Poor Dad. If you are a laborer be in a union, if you own a company that provides labor never have a union.

I see these crap houses now and the tennis shoe crew slamming them together and just wonder why construction (residential) is the next step above flipping burgers.

10. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Maybe something to do with where most (at least in SoCal) of the construction labor comes from. ...aaaaaannd recall the quote by Jim Bowie when he looked out of the Alamo and saw Santa Ana’s hoards... “I didn’t know we ordered concrete today”.