All the ducks are in LA

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Swampfoot, Jan 9, 2018.

1. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for stopping by Bill but we had ducks in Louisiana in typical numbers. I find that in the early parts of the season you don't need extreme weather to move ducks in. If we get a north wind for 2-3 days and temps in the upper 20's which we had that's usually enough. Any time after Christmas you certainly do. The ducks that moved thru the east zone just could not hold in the managed habitat areas due to pressure once the second split cranked up and there was no backwater for them to find refuge. So while we had the weather in terms of fronts and frigid temps this year we never got the water that could have wintered them successfully until the last weekend of the season.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I don't think we're really too far apart in what we are saying. During the deep freeze I had friends from south Louisiana calling me asking "where are the ducks, there's no way you still have them?" I'd respond with a picture from the afternoon before. The part of AR I hunt most basically held the same ducks from prior to opener until all the still stuff froze. Then they just moved a bit. The biggest movement of ducks here was due to the big rain we had in December.

I also agree it doesn't take as much to move them in December, but I see more new ducks in years when repeated minor fronts come through. It doesn't trigger a "grand passage," but it does seem to bring another little wave of new ducks. Also, there's no doubt habitat has everything to do with holding them around when they do come through.

3. ducaholic

I'd also add that it's past time that we stop wasting 7 days of our season for the East Zone in November. The last 7 days of the 16 day first split should be added to front of the second split. It drives me nuts that traditional dates are maintained when it becomes more clear every year that later is better in the East Zone due to a shift in weather patterns that are far from traditional.

4. ducaholic

Those little waves are my bread and butter. Hence my post above not being able to hunt more in December. I edited by post on Memphis weather because you were correct. There was only a 4-5 degree weather differential between Memphis and BR when the December fronts pushed thru but there was a 15 degree difference between SE Kansas and BR. Not all of the East Zone ducks that winter in Central and NE La. travel the Miss. River corridor to get here. Again thanks for stopping by. Sounds like you got to hunt more than expected. I recall you mentioning your wife was having surgery. I hope that turned out ok. God Bless.

5. bill cooksey

Most people would be surprised how many AR ducks come from the Central Flyway. That's especially true from Stuttgart south. Got to hunt more than expected, but it took a toll on me. Get up at 3:30, make breakfast for wife, drive 90 minutes to club, hunt and then get back in time to get her lunch. Hard to do two mornings in a row. Got lucky during the freeze due to a buddy having a place less than 45 minutes from me in the MS River bottoms that is really good during a hard freeze. Between a lot of close friends in LA, and LA being a big part of my job, I try to keep up with what's happening down there. It's my second favorite place to be.

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Still what seem a bazillion mallards in at least some coastal marsh - now that we're not doing our best to bang them back to you. Lot of folks are convinced they don't come until season's end, but I'm inclined to think most just slipping out of hiding once the coast is clear.

7. bill cooksey

I believe you are exactly right. It's amazing how quick they appear when the pressure is gone. I always warn people when they tell me they are going to look at a possible future lease in February.

8. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

I agree plus people pulling boards and draining fields asap

9. bill cooksey

No doubt about that. A lot of factors influence where ducks are at a given time.