Alumacraft 1648

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Dukcalr71, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Dukcalr71

Dukcalr71 Refuge Member

Does anybody hunt from an Alumacraft 1648 flat bottom with no center seat? Any comments appreciated? I am looking for boat to hunt 2-3guys, 1dog and power with a mud motor. Thanks

2. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

it will get the job done just fine... if you get the right size of motor...

3. Birdup

Birdup Moderator Moderator

I hunt the hell out of mine. 2 dogs, decoys, 2 guys (320lb and 200lb) and gear, I'll get about 17mph with my 25hp Johnson and about 27mph with my 30hp Yamaha.

It's a great boat. I'm putting pods on it so I can get on plane in shallow water fully loaded.:tu

4. drallamrellik

drallamrellik Senior Refuge Member

i have an older 1648 that i took the center seat out off. hunt with a 27 hp beavertail. three guys hunts easy, little tight will all gear and three guys two dogs, but works. two guys plenty of room and space. i can't give you accurate speeds because i didn't plan on using this boat for duck hunting so when i removed the center seat i added 5/8 inch marine playwood for a floor and extended the 20" front deck to 36". lots of extra weight but still got us where we wanted to go. i also put in a gun box. duck hunted out of it 4 years now with now problems. i don't know what guage the bottom is, but my next boat will be stronger. a few to many dents right now.....:l

5. r3200

r3200 Senior Refuge Member

Have the same boat run 25 Yammie and it will get the job done. Doing duck season I run a 16 go-devil with just me and gear it will plane and do fine.. with two others a little slow. Nice boat ...lots of open room!

6. Keith H

Keith H Elite Refuge Member

2 guys is fine for hunting, 3 hunting is a little tight, but no problem transporting. I run a 29hp Kawa Hyper on mine. Worn prop and and hooked bottom got me 22-23 with two people, boat blind and hunting gear. Filled in hooks with steel flex, got me another 1-2mph with same load.

7. IDECOYM

IDECOYM Senior Refuge Member

Hello all reviving out thread. Looking at a MV1648 I am looking for the dimension of the front deck. Nobody can seem to give that to me. Thanks

8. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

My rig is a 1648 riveted Alumacraft, powered by a Moded MudBuddy Black Death Never tried to hunt three out of it. Runs mid thirties lite. 100_0070.JPG

9. wingin'it

wingin'it New Member

I just bought an MV1648NCS in July, I love the boat. Going from a 12' v boat with an 8 horse to something decently wide and stable with a 50 is great. The front deck is large, the gf stands up there to fish, she's a nervous person and she's fine up there.
    I built a side console for it (part of my job is fabricating aluminum aircraft panels so it looks like it belongs), mounted 2 fold down seats right in front of the back bench to get the weight down and forward a bit. I'm just shy of 40mph, but if I had power trim I could trim it up a bit more and I'm short on prop, so with the right tinkering I would be over 40mph with it... But you better be confident with a boat that light at that speed, it slips through the wide bends on the river, on the tighter stuff I have to counter steer to get the boat to stop turning.

I'll take some measurements tonight for ya while I'm installing my new LED light bars.

I looked at the LOWE riveted boats and was not happy with the finishing quality, and their modified v had a big flat shovel on the front. I've run some big rollers in the river here and I'm glad I didn't have that hull when I plowed through the waves.

10. IDECOYM

IDECOYM Senior Refuge Member

Thanks