"Aluminum" F-150?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by pintail2222, Jul 7, 2015.

1. JoJer

JoJer Senior Refuge Member

On the subject of the aluminum Ford bodies: I was getting my windshield replaced last year and was reading a car repair industry magazine in the waiting room. The article said that the aluminum bodies would require a separate set of tools that could never so much as touch steel parts. Hence, buy-in for body shops to work on aluminum bodies is around $40K.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

A good portion of the reason GM lost my business was the overall attitude of the dealers I went into when I was looking to replace my well worn but reliable 3500 dually, which I had sold and had a sizeable down payment before hand.
    We went to six different dealers and all of them acted like they were selling trucks made of Gold, not one of them would deal on price. Don't' want anything for free but I also am not giving my money away either.

Wife finally dragged me to a Ford dealer, picked out and test drove a new F 250 and went home with it that night. In the end I actually like the F 250 better than all the 2500 HD's I test drove, I want something that feels and rides like a truck not something that looks like a truck and rides like a car which the 2500's seemed inclined to be.

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I certainly am not locked into favoriting any vehicle name .
    My wife and I like traveling in a truck , the ride ,room and power of the
    truck is of most importance . All the accessories for creature comforts were
    changed from my 2002 Cumins 4x4 6 speed stick when I decided we needed
    a new truck . This 2014 Laramie Cumins 3/4 4x4 6 speed Auto has all the bells
    and whistles , plus , a lot of things ( at this time ) I don't need ! What the
    hell I need a Moon Roof for or XM radio with 8 speakers , A/C seats , a
    steering wheel that talks to me everytime I touch a button , auto wipers
    when , it thinks it's raining , auto high beam lowing and the list goes on .
    Even tho my friend owns the dealership , this truck cost as much as my
    home on a one acre lot as I refused to live in the city .

But , I do enjoy driving this Drive by Wire rig as it doesn't even know
    that my 28 ft RV trailer is tied behind it.....with better performance than
    ether my 1999 or 2002 !

I must be getting soft ( minded ) in my old age ! :yes

4. Blackducks

Blackducks Elite Refuge Member

I never said it didn't/doesn't happen. I just pointed out there is NO brand of car or truck that doesn't suffer from some type of problem. All the trucks( Ford, GM, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, et al... )have things that go wrong.

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Yep , if it moves , makes a noise or is owned by me......something
    does go wrong.......eventually !

That's why , I duck hunt more .......just to way-out my options :l:l

6. Davy Hunt

Davy Hunt Elite Refuge Member

Wonder what aluminum body will do for the body shops and insurance premiums?

Any body shop guys know if you can pop out a dent or bondo? If not, do you have to replace a whole quarter panel?

7. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

It's already been determined by the insurance industry that the new F-150's won't see any increase in insurance premiums, and over time they expect that there will be a reduction in rates.

The aluminum bodies are far tougher and don't suffer as much damage as the sardine can ones.

8. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

Won't happen...ever

9. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Ford F-150 insurance costs aren?t going up and that new aluminum body might actually be why they begin to drop

When Ford released the 2015 F-150 into the wild, some predicted that insurance costs on the truck could increase over prior years. Unsubstantiated or not, many thought durability and repair cost concerns over the truck?s new aluminum body would cause insurers to up their monthly premiums.

But as customers have taken delivery of their new F-150s they haven?t seen much of an increase at all. In fact, some have even reported seeing their premiums drop.

http://www.equipmentworld.com/ford-...ody-might-actually-be-why-they-begin-to-drop/

2015 Ford F-150 Lowest Cost of Repairing

A sledgehammer can be an attention-getting device?especially when a prominent media outlet thuds one into the best-selling vehicle in America. The goal of a recent Edmunds.com video was to see what it would cost to repair an aluminum-bodied Ford F-150 pickup truck.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...-an-aluminum-bodied-2015-ford-f-150/index.htm

Addressing Cost Rumors About the 2015 Aluminum F-150

When most people think of aluminum, they think of a soda can, but we can assure you that the all-new Ford F-150 will be a far cry from a soda can on wheels. The body of the pickup will be constructed out of high-quality, military-grade aluminum that will still allow the aluminum-built Ford F-150 to offer the ?Built Ford Tough? promise. That?s not to say that the aluminum body will be invincible, however. Just like past steel-built models, there will come a time where dents and scratches will occur and the imperfections will need to be addressed. That takes us to the insurance and repair costs of the 2015 Aluminum Ford F-150.

One of the biggest rumors that is going around about the insurance and repair costs is that they will be higher as dealerships aren?t equipped to deal with the new metal. Only one of those issues is true, and it will be addressed prior to the release of the F-150. Ford has developed specific F-150 repair training which will be available to all Ford dealers such as Pete Harkness in Sterling IL. So, you can rest assured that all Ford dealer service departments will be capable of repairing the aluminum F-150.

As far as insurance costs go, we don?t expect them to be any higher than current costs. Ford has already stated that both repair and insurance costs will be competitive with the costs of the current 2014 Ford F-150. Ford has strategically designed the F-150 to be easy to repair in the event of an accident. The automaker has been using aluminum body panels on their vehicles for some time, so they already have the experience working with the lightweight metal.

http://www.peteharkness.com/blog/2015-aluminum-ford-f-150-insurance-and-repair-costs/

10. 257 Roberts

257 Roberts Refuge Member

I have my Z-71 paid for already, so for me selling or trading it while it's in perfectly good running order is not an option anyway. I've taken good care of it, and it has taken good care of me.

But the way I look at it is this: I don't owe anyone my patronage or business. It is THEIR job to earn it and keep me coming back. If they're not willing to do that, I have no problem taking my business to someone who will. When they took the taxpayer funded bailouts then moved their manufacturing out of this country, that crossed an important line with me. It did serious damage to our industrial capabilities as a country.