"Aluminum" F-150?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by pintail2222, Jul 7, 2015.

1. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Insurance Institute Safety Rating results for 2015 F150.

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

But AQ had an article just a couple posts back stating your insurance premiums will go down if you get a F-150...

All that training and those tools will be covered by something else. I guess Ford will just eat that cost, so your insurance stays low.

Not picking on AQ, or Ford. Just seems like speculation is running amuck on this topic.

One thing is for sure... They are leaning towards the direction of taking the privately-owned body shop guy (small business) out of the business. I would have to think most will not be able to afford the new (and completely separate/segregated) tools, shop space, and training required to work on these vehicles, until they (aluminum bodies) become much more popular.

3. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

Aq's posts included info that was part of the initial sales pitch for truck. I drove one last weekend, it's nice, as in high end luxury car nice, but way to nice for me. I couldn't see taking that truck down a woods road, ect.

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Time will tell on these. Here's an interesting article
    http://www.autonews.com/article/201...aluminum-repairs-cost-more-than-steel-iihs-sa

And an excerpt from the above article I found particularly interesting, that I doubt anyone has thought of including Ford, Aluminum especially high strength Aluminum alloyed with Magnesium burns real well. This could turn into nightmare if one these new trucks catches on fire.

Ford designed the aluminum F-150 with a modular structure that it says can be easier to repair than its predecessor. But the change in material also required that most dealerships and body shops spend tens of thousands of dollars creating separate spaces for working on aluminum and buying specialized repair tools and equipment. (Aluminum dust can ignite and explode if cross-contaminated with steel dust.)

5. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Wow, might have to ice down the truck along with the beer!:joker

6. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

Well, I pulled the Trigger on a 15 F-150 Super Crew so we will see how it holds up

Mayes

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I just had a guy who parks on the property to go fishing drive up in one. He has had it for a couple of months. He got the Eco, and he loves it. Says he pulls his 5'th wheel, no problem.

8. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

I did not want the Eco boost, I went for the 5.0

Mayes

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

that would have been my choice also. However, he was happy.

10. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

I too bought the 2015 Ford XLT with the eco-boost. So far I love my truck-drives and rides GREAT! Seems to pull my duck boat with no problems. My tonneau cover is on the way! Fireduck