Aluminum paint for inside of jon boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

it is touchup time or repaint time for the inside (excluding deck) which I carpet and one bench seat. I was using Krylon spray bombs but they don't cover real well and I don't think is very durable.What do you guys recommend ?And how much would it take for the inside of a 1648 ?Thanks

2. Potholes Mark

Potholes Mark Senior Refuge Member

Get a gallon of Parkers Dull Grass paint

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Absolutely Parker’s! ^^. But it all starts with the preping.

tcc and freefall like this.
  4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Parkers was good in the past but the last 4 times I have bought and used it, it has been terrible. Durability isn't there doesn't bond well and flakes and peels worse then old GHG decoys. I will never use it again.

5. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I used the Rustoleum primer for aluminum and my paint stuck like glue. You could feel the primer etch into the metal.

6. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Aluminum has to be etched for the primer to stick. Simplest way is to buy a self etching primer at the auto parts store. It has acid in the paint. If the surface isn’t etched the paint will come off.

7. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Do you have to prime if the boat has one layer already on from manufacturer?

8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

If the boat already has paint that is adhering firmly and not flaking off, you can go over the paint without primer. Is your current paint chalky (hazy) from age? You will want to get the chalk off by wiping with denatured alcohol and then rough it up with light sanding to give it a bit of "tooth" for the new paint to stick.

I have heard great things about Lock Stock and Barrel paint for boats. I use Sherwin-Williams KEM400, but it must be bought from a special store (not your neighborhood SW store), custom tinted in minimum of a gallon size and is expensive. Lots of boat builders use KEM400 to spray their boats at the factory. It is for spray application only.

9. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

No.

Haydenhunter has good advice. Bottom line, clean and scuff the existing paint.......and then clean again!

freefall likes this.
  10. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

I've had good luck with cleaning any bare spots with aluminum boat cleaner to remove any oxidation, priming with zink chromate and then scuffing the factory paint, cleaning with denatured alcohol and painting with Kem400. It took me about a gallon to paint my 1652 doing three thin coats inside and out and an extra coat in places with a lot of ware