Always know your target...

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Apr 21, 2017.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

2. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Saw that on another site and wonder what's happened to these hunters in this day & age??? Guess I'll dress in my fatigues when I'm up in MI 5/15, and hunt & protect myself also, even if I'm on private land :no:doh

3. Birdsnspurs

Birdsnspurs Refuge Member

4. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

I do believe I would have been returning fire.

5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Always waiting to hear about these guys holding tail fans in fields getting shot by high powered rifles.

Akin to dressing up like a deer and running through the woods during deer rifle season.

Main reason I don't hunt with turkey decoys.

6. duck stopper

duck stopper Elite Refuge Member

It really should be a safe sport when you have to see a beard before you shoot. Waving a fan around or even sitting next to a fan seems like an invite to a problem. I guess some guys just get too excited and stop using common sense.

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I gave the same reply to a thread on a different forum...

Here is a link to the youtube video which has better video quality as well more footage from before and after the shooting...

I cannot figure out what that shooter thought he saw? The turkey fan is laying face-down in the grass, and the shot seems to strike an area that is some distance from the fan on the ground...

Video almost looks staged, but if it is, they went to some trouble to make it realistic... You can see the victims seat cushion move when the shot is fired...

8. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

My first year of turkey hunting I put an hour long stalk on a cow. She was down behind a dike road and allI could see was turkey-sized black spot moving around. behind the dike and in and around some willow brush. I made a fantastic stalk on it but I never did see a beard or fan or turkey head. I didn't shoot it.

9. Squaller

I suppose had you taken the shot, you would not have been invited back.

I have heard of local land owners having animals shot, and always wondered how that could possibly happen? I have mistaken cow, logs, and red flowers as game... Never to the point where I was confused enough to take a shot though (or even come close).

10. Squaller

Interesting...

The action of the gun, of the guy who got shot is open during the whole course of the video.

I wonder if it is possible that he was utilizing good gun safety while staging this video?