Am enjoying our trip to Montana

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Been here in Ennis for a bit and are having a great time. Spent some time tying new kinds of flies for the local area. Have fishing Ennis Lake the last two days and we're trying to learn the ins and outs of that water. I did well on Monday with 8 fish to 20 inches, and I caught two browns that were my first in quite a few years.

Have twice listened to a group called Growling Old Men...outstanding music. The first time was at the end of a music and fishing camp they had put on in Ennis. Mandolin, guitar and bass for the show, and they had some students pick a few tunes with them as well. Sat in the grass alone the creek behind the El Western, fought off mosquitos, and listened to great music. Last Sunday we went over to Virginia City and heard them play again (with their regular bass player) at the Elling House and saw and art exhibit of Zack Babbit's work. I talked with the guitar player, John Lowell, and found out they three who played were part of a great bluegrass group called Kane's River. They are disbanded now, but I can remember hearing them way back at a bluegrass festival in Parker, Arizona. I can also remember playing some of the songs from their CD on the bluegrass radio program I used to have. We have a friend by the name of John Moore, who plays with Bluegrass Etc, and we learned that John Lowell is a good friend of his as well...small world for sure.

We're staying at the Ennis RV Village RV Park...very nice park if you're so inclined...and last week got with some folks down our row and picked tunes in the evening. They had a couple guitars, I brought down my mandolin, and the wife had her stand up bass. Last night we got invited to come back down on Friday evening after supper and play some more. Good stuff.

Today we're headed over to Bozeman to get the tires we ordered put on the wife's car and do some other running around. Still have a couple weeks to enjoy ourselves here before heading to our new home in South Dakota. Most definitely going to go back and spend a day in Virginia City walking through the old buildings and learning about the town. Anyway, we're enjoying Montana for certain. :tu:tu

2. igo4dux75

igo4dux75 Senior Refuge Member

I wondered if you were here, our local bluegrass festival is tomorrow. Glad you are getting into the fish!

3. Mean Gene

We thought about running up for that, but decided against the drive. We've taken a couple days and walked through all the buildings and shops in Virginia City and Nevada City...tons of fun. We've done well on trout...yesterday the wife caught some real dandies. When we were in the old historic buildings in Nevada City a lady who handles the volunteers hit us up about signing up to play music for them on the weekends next year, and we may just do some of that.

igo4dux75 likes this.
  4. igo4dux75

igo4dux75 Senior Refuge Member

Ruby reservoir, not too far from you, has fantastic fishing for rainbows. I have never fly fished it, but have done very well trolling cow bells tipped with small spinners, spoons, wedding rings, etc. Have also done very well shore fishing on the bottom with night crawlers. Kids caught plenty for the smoker. I would imagine a guy in a float tube chucking bugs could do well morning/evening. There are some BIG trout in there...
    Also, you can find small Ruby's in the gravel along shore.

5. Mean Gene

Thanks for the tip. We'll check it out. I found it on the map and it looks like a guy can get a tube in right near where the stream comes into the lake, :tu

6. Mean Gene

Headed back to Ennis soon...arrive the 7th of September and will stay the rest of the month. We already have reservations there at the RV park for the entire season next year and have decided that will be our "second home". I was told the fall fishing can be great...I suppose we'll see if fall ever decides to show up. :l

igo4dux75 likes this.
  7. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Gene, how are they saying the smoke is in Ennis? We have a few day trip to Jellystone / the Paradise Valley coming up and I was wondering about the area in general.

8. Mean Gene

I haven't heard Gil. NOAA weather site says areas of smoke. :l I'll be there tomorrow and I'll let you know. :tu

gadwall52 likes this.
  9. Mean Gene

Gil, got to Ennis this evening. Mountains are covered in smoke, but here in the valley it isn't bad at all. Was outside with the dog and couldn't even really smell the smoke. South of here looked to be the worst...out toward the Henry's Lake direction.

10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I am in Billings and am surprised at how much smoke there is this Far East. It's certainly better than recent air quality in Coeur d'Alene, but there is smoke, smoke everywhere. Heading out for our Beartooth Highway drive today.