Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Ammo for .270

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by redjones, Oct 14, 2017.

1. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

Indiana last year for the first time started allowing centerfire rifles during its gun season for whitetail deer on private land.
    I picked up a pre-64 Mod.70 Winchester Featherweight in 270 with a 22'' BBL. seems to be be a good all around caliber for Deer sized game,according to what I have read.
    A VXIII 4.5x14x40mm 30mm tube Leupold scope and rings are on it.
    I know that every rifle will shoot every ammo differently,so test firing will be done.
    Went to a Cabela's not far from me and there were probably 20 plus different choices of .270 ammo sitting on the shelves,kind of overwhelming.
    Looking to find a round that will cleanly take Deer sized game out to 200-250 yds when I do my part and is lazer accurate,a big Whitetail Buck around here is 180-220 lbs. hanging weight.
    Definitely looking for Quality over Quantity,so is there a go to place to start,Nosler,Federal,Winchester,130gr -150gr,all kinds of tips,blah,blah,blah etc.
    Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks............Greg

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

130gr seems to be the sweet spot, between flat shooting and energy. Old School Remington Core-Loc's will do the job just fine, as will Winchester Power Max. Just stay away from the lighter bullets. They are fine if placed exactly in the right spot, but 130gr and up can bust through and get the job done.

Jack O'Conner would be proud.

3. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Don’t over think it. Bite the bullet and buy 2 boxes.
    I own 2 .270’s. One loves a 130gr, the other a 150gr.
    Just go put it on paper. I always site my .270s in at 3” high at 100 yards. Basically, any critter from 0-300 yards is held right on front shoulder. Bang, flop. I’m anal, I like sub 1” groups. If you can fire 3 rounds and you are within 1.5” at 100 yards, it will kill a whitetail

4. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

Thanks guys,
    I'm not to worried about spending money on ammo its just that there are so many choices to go with that it would be nice to start with 2-4 proven rounds and go from there.
    I will figure it out, just have to spend some time on the bench.

Greg

5. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

Well. I'm going against the grain here, but I would buy the heaviest, highest quality bullets available for that 270. I have killed probably 50 deer with a 270 and 130 grain bullets over the years and even though I got them in the heart/ lungs, few were DRT. They'd go off a little ways. 140 and 150 grain Hornadys or Noslers still have plenty of velocity and energy and are flat shooters out to where you are talking about. ...and those better bullets will retain more weight...

6. oldfireguy

oldfireguy Refuge Member

I like the 150 grain Sierra Game King bullets. They have proven themself on deer and elk for me. I reload, but believe Federal uses them in their rounds.

7. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

For whitetail you can get by with just about anything out of a .270.

However, if you are really wanting the best of the best - Barnes VorTex 130 gr TTSX. Great accuracy and terminal performance, and a lead free projectile to boot. I have shot them on whitetails here, and red stag and sika in Scotland - never failed yet.

8. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

I'd try some of the following and see what your gun likes. Any of these will be fine for whitetail.
    Hornady Superformance 130/140g SST (or 130g GMX if you want lead free)
    Hornady American Whitetail 130/140g Interlock
    Barnes VorTex 130g TTSX
    Nosler Trophy Grade 130g Accubond
    Shooting inside of 250 yards, I'd go 140g over 130g when available as bullet drop won't be a big issue. But 130g will work just fine, so most importantly find a bullet that shoots well out of your gun and don't look back. As mentioned, sight in 2 to 3 inches high at 100 yards; point and shoot out to 300 yards.

I reload and have never had anything but good performance out of Hornady, Nosler and Barnes bullets. I've shot several caribou and mule deer with my 7mm-08 using 139/140g bullets listed. Didn't have time to load ammo for this hunting season, so ended up killing two mule deer bucks DRT (wife and I) with 139g American Whitetail factory ammo. Shooting the same bullets in 165/168g out of my 30/06 or 300wm, have had great bullet performance on elk, deer, antelope, sheep, goat, moose, and bear. I've recently grown fond of the TTSX and Accubond bullets, but have killed lots of critters with Hornady bullets over the years.

Cheers,
    Rich

9. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I spent 4 nights shooting numerous 3-5 shot groups at 100, 200, 300, & 400 yards with my .270 Remington 700 a few weeks ago in preparation for an antelope hunt. The ammo I found to be the most accurate was the federal fusion 130 gr, then hornady SST 130 gr. I also was shooting my buddy's savage 270, and his gun loved the federal blue box 150 grain soft points. Shot a 0.67" 100 yard 3 shot group with that load.

10. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

sierra game kings or nosler accubonds seem to be good performers for most.

I have not had good luck with hornady's superperformance although I like their precision hunter (ELDx) in other calibers.

As others have stated, buy a few boxes and figure out what shoots well out of your combo.