Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Ammo for .270

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by redjones, Oct 14, 2017.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Another vote for the Barnes 130 grain TTSX.

2. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Hornady American Whitetail 130 grain shot the best out of my gun. Coreloks were 2nd. I've just got the El cheapo Remington 783

3. nobrownducks

nobrownducks Senior Refuge Member

Nosler 140 grain Accubond...can't go wrong.

4. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

Just to update,I ended up buying a box of Remington Core-Locs and a box of the Barnes TTSX.
    The Remington's shot ok at 100yds around 2''-3'' groups,plenty good enough to hunt with but the Barnes 130 gr.
    shot quite a bit better 1'' or so.
    So I used the Remington's to get it on paper,and fine tuned it with a few of the Barnes.
    Of course the Barnes cost twice as much at 2 bucks apiece but thats ok,they give me plenty of confidence in hitting what I'm shooting at,like this morning.
    103 yds. looked like a bolt of lighting hit her when I pulled the trigger.

Greg

IMG_20171203_071607_196.jpg

Buttesmacker likes this.
  5. Cousteau

Cousteau New Member

Big BIG fan of the Barnes TTSX bullets here also.

I use the 150 grn for my .30-06 and for my kids I load 110 grn Barnes made for .300BLK.

Every. Single. Deer. we shot with Barnes bullets have been DRT, and they are very accurate also.

Expensive? Yes. Worth every cent? Absolutely.

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The best rounds that I ever ran through my Savage .270 was the Winchester 130gr. Ballistic Silvertips. That was before the Barnes bullets of today. I haven't shot that .270 in years. It's the wife's deer gun now. I found a box of the Winchester's a couple years back, and put them in the safe. Haven't seen them since. I think the wife grabbed them for deer hunting, and left them somewhere. As to the Rem Core-Lokt, I didn't like them in the .270, and I don't like them in my .308 either (like you stated 2-3" groups with the 180gr .308s). But, they absolutely destroyed the doe I shot on Thanksgiving this year. She fell like a sack of taters, and didn't even flinch a leg. Of course, at 50 yards, I'd suspect any round would do that.

7. Buckhunter99

Buckhunter99 Refuge Member

I am also in Indiana and have a 270. I ended up going with the Winchester Deer Season XP. They are designed for whitetail deer. I was able to get them to group very good at 100 yards. I had 5 shots in the size of your thumbnail at 100 yards. I have not shot any other rounds through mine but have some reloaded that I plan on testing this spring.

widgeon likes this.
  8. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I just went through some ammo tests on my Browning A-Bolt. I was amazed at how bad some ammo grouped.

Hornady custom 130 grain are what my rifle shot best with.

Unless you're thumbs are HUGE, I think you found your gun's favorite!

9. Buckhunter99

Buckhunter99 Refuge Member

I am not going to lie I am hoping to improve on that with actual hand-loads verses factory. I have actually shot two different kinds of ammo out of this gun and got very similar results but both of them were factory ammo. I know that some of it has to do with the gun and the particular ammo but some of it has to do with the fundamentals of shooting such as trigger squeeze, breathing, muscle relaxation, bone support... You get the drift on that. I personally feel that being in the Marines has helped me improve my shooting.

widgeon likes this.
  10. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

Another vote for Winchester Supreme with 130g ballistic tips. Been shooting them through my Savage 110 for 20 seasons. They produce tight grouping and I've never lost a single animal shot with it.