Ammo help.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by ApprenticeDG, Nov 5, 2016.

1. ApprenticeDG

ApprenticeDG Refuge Member

Hi everyone. My name is Nate. I am a turkey and waterfowl jr hunter. I am starting to get into deer, pig, elk and other big animals. I have a friend who is lending me his rifle. He says it's a 308. Model 99 savage? I need to know what round i should load into it. People i know say to load a 300 savage 150 grain. But that's a 300 caliber right? wouldn't i want to get a 308. savage round. I'm really confused with this Please help.
    Thanks

2. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

The caliber is a 308 Winchester. The gun manufacture doesn't matter its what the gun is chambered for. Be sure to check the barrel stamping to verify.

A 150 grain big game bullet should do the job for all species listed. Do a little reading on the caliber to understand the ballistic and range limitations. A 308 should do fine out to the range most people can accurately shoot.

widgeon likes this.
  3. PrairieDream'n

PrairieDream'n Senior Refuge Member

This isn't necessarily correct. The caliber could very well be in 300 Savage, a pet caliber developed by Savage for the Model 99 you speak of. A .308 Winchester round CANNOT BE FIRED IN A 300 Savage, and if it is fired the damage to your rifle, and likely a considerable portion of your face will be considerable. READ THE BARREL STAMP, the 300 Savage is an excellent round, albeit a little more difficult to find as most modern firearms now shoot the .308 Winchester, leaving the Savage a largely defunct round... but Midway has them.. here's a link.

http://www.midwayusa.com/300-savage/br?cid=9362

4. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

PrairieDream'n is correct. I should have stated IF it is a 308 Winchester. Verify the barrel stamp because the 99 was chambered for multiple calibers including the 308 Win and the 300 Savage

5. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

See what it says on the barrel. If not certain, take to a gunsmith or someone familiar with rifles.