ammonium sulfate?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by PaulinKansas, Apr 23, 2002.

1. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

i'm using some generic roundup to kill off weeds and grass in a future dove field. the label basically says that performance will be improved with the addition of a surfactat (done) and ammonium sulfate to the diluted mixture in the spray tank. problem is, i can't find amm sulf. i checked the coop and a farm/feed store.

i've taken 8 hrs of college chemistry, and know that the molecule breaks up into ions when in water... ammonia and sulfate are floating around in the water.

can i substitute epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and regular household ammonia for ammonium sulfate? if not household ammonia, how about ammonium nitrate (urea)?

2. pentail

pentail Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Paul
    I manage a lawn/garden/greenhouse supply company. ammonium sulphate will make the roundup enter the leaves of the plants more quickly and therefore kill faster. mag sul. (epsom salt) won't work as well as it doesn't alter the ph of the solution. you should be able to find ammon sul at just about any lawn and garden shop, I have even seen it in walmart. Even more important than the ammon sul is to pick the right time and conditions to spray. a couple days after a rain is the best time, temp above 65 degrees 75 is even better. you are looking for a flush of new growth, as this allows the foliar absorbtion of the chemical to happen in the shortest amount of time. hope this helps

3. MSDuckmen

MSDuckmen Moderator Moderator

Pentail was right on.

when you spray try to pick a day that the wind is low if possible and the temps do not need to be higher than the low 90's.

The chemical will be absorbed into the plant, the longer it remains in the liquid state the better it will work. Very hot days cause it to dry to quickly and the plant many times will only yellow, not taking the root system with it.

And a big mistake many people make is cutting it first then spraying. Just spray and leave the cutting for when it's dead.

Good luck

4. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

that's for the info, what you suggested is how i've been doing things. but i still can't find any ammonium sulfate. i checked a co-op, two farm supply stores, walmart, and 2 nursery/greenhouses. they don't have it.

can adding a few quarts of household ammonia to my 15 gallon mix tank of the sprayer be sufficient to raising the ph?

what if i just skipped adding ammonia or sulfate to the mix, and just added a surfactant? are the results going to be dramatically different than with adding am.sulf.?

in other words, is worrying about adding this stuff to my glyphosate pretty trivial? like worrying about 1450 fps load vs a 1475 fps load, one's a bit faster, but the difference in results are hardly noticeable.

5. MSDuckmen

MSDuckmen Moderator Moderator

I use roundup with nothing else, Yes it may work better with the additive but it still works great without it.

6. oldsquaw

oldsquaw Elite Refuge Member

cant beat round up ultra for burn down!!! no residue left either thats the great hing about it!