An assessment- My hunting wk.

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Big Gumbo, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Big Gumbo

Big Gumbo Elite Refuge Member

I'm going to start off by saying that there are some birds in my neck of the woods. I suspect that many are leftovers from the first segment. We have 100 acres more or less of flooded timber. There is less water than on opening weekend. There are about 200 to 250 birds using our property with half being greenheads, the rest wood ducks and teal. Go one morning and spot the area they are lighting in and be there the next morning. No dekes, that is a sure sign to not land there. they are so shy they light away from real ducks being vocal in the morning. Calling is a bad idea in most cases considering that. After 8:00 no birds observed in the air except for those that have been spooked up. They is lass ans less pressure it seems with each trip for folks giving up on them. I would say most hunters are not local and are in field pits. Only a few fields in the surrounding area with good sounding shooting action and not much repeat business after that.

I'm not going to gripe about there being no birds, When I woke up at 3 am Sat morning it was warmer in Chicago that it was in Memphis, so its the lack of cold weather, IMO.

2. BlackSwampSpecial

BlackSwampSpecial Moderator<br>Arkansas Forum

On the cache river in Arkansas lookin up at a wood
    I agree the weather is not right up north.

I went monday and saw nothing.
    I went friday and we killed 6 before 7:00 and that was all of it.
    I went saturday and we got 2 before 7:00 and it was over.

All a man can say is a bad day in the timber is better than a good day at work.

3. Mike DU

Mike DU Moderator<br>Ducks Unlimited Forum

The weather indeed is killing us. Was in N. Missouri and Illinois over the Christmas Holiday. 60 degree temps on friday and saturday. Did not wear a coat! No ice lots of ducks and geese. Hunted with college buddy in Illinois on sunday. Saw thousands of mallards and pintails. The sky was full of snow geese and specks too. For a minute I thought I was in Arkansas. Though we saw thousands the shooting was tough as the birds were decoy and call shy. We shot 3 wigeon and a 3 spoons along with our mallards. The wigeon were definately a surprise for a late December Illinois hunt.

A front is forecasted for this weekend that will return temps blow freezing in Missouri and Illinois. It even looks like it might hold for 5 or 6 days. I guess I/we can only hope for it to hold longer!