Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

An urgent message to Alabama Duck Hunters

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by augustus_65, Dec 29, 2003.

1. augustus_65

augustus_65 Elite Refuge Member

Gentlemen,

The mindnumbing mediocrity that is this duck season has forced me to examine the harsh reality that waterfowl hunting in the great state of Alabama has not met our lofty expectations. I have come to this realization after many hours of staring blankly into empty skies while listening to my compatriots blather on about "how come there ain't no ducks." I believe I have arrived at the solution to our collective problems. For the foregoing reasons I am forming the Society for the Advancement of the Promotion of the Elevation of the Daily Bag Limit of Woodducks. How many mornings have you downed your daily limit of wooducks and then have to sit and watch their brethren pile into the hole while you stand by idly. No more I say! I for one love the woodduck and feel we should be allowed to slaughter them in far greater numbers. There are several mornings I don't even get my barrel warm before my hunt is over and my two majestic wooducks are in hand. I submit to you my fellow hunters that we should petition our government to allow us the opportunity to extend our hunts and be able to feed our families. Two woodducks does not a meal make. Ten woodducks has a much nicer ring to it. Now that would be worth firing up the grill.

We need to examine the economic ramifications the elevation of the daily bag limit of woodducks could have on the Alabama economy. Many of my hunts end in my bagging only two wood ducks. I usually average any where from five to ten shots per duck bagged. Now if the limit were raised to say, hmm, I don't know, maybe 15 wooducks, just think of how many boxes of shells would be fired in the morning. See we will already be helping the ammunition industry. Next, let us explore the tourism factor. If our daily bag limit were raised hunters would consider foregoing a trip to Stuttgart where they can only kill a piddly 4 or 5 mallards in favor of going to Scratch Ankle, Alabama where they could kill 20 woodducks. (yes, Scratch Ankle is a real place) Hotels would need to be constructed, Waffle Houses must be built. Little Debbie could open a franchise. Jobs, my friends, would be created if we could only shoot a few more woodducks.

Lastly, as we all know woodducks are the most challenging species of duck to kill. Any idiot with a kazoo can bring an ol' greenhead in, but to lure the mysterious wooduck into gun range requires the mastery of the mellifluous call of the woodduck. Even mastery of their eerie whine does not ensure success. One must be dilligent in determining where the wiley woodduck wants to be.
    Therefore gentlemen, I submit that it is in your best interest to join the Society for the Advancement of the Promotion of the Elevation of the Daily Bag Limit of Woodducks. It is vital for the economic survival of the State of Alabama and for the future of waterfowling in this great state.

For those who may be interested, I am also forming the Society for the Reintroduction of Pickup Truck Floor Mounted Foot Dimmers.

Thank you for time and attention to this matter.

2. DUCKN8R

DUCKN8R Elite Refuge Member

15 wooodducks???? i can go with that:D

3. kwak&eider

kwak&eider Senior Refuge Member

Increasing the wooduck limit and bringing back floor dimmers, sorry I missed you for lunch that day, you're my kinda people.:D

4. damallardman

damallardman Refuge Member

we cant do that nator would go crazy:sp

5. wigenhead

wigenhead Senior Refuge Member

ILL GO ALONG WITH THIS IDEA, LETS WAIT TILL AFTER THE SEASON TO HAVE OUR FIRST MEETIN THOUGH.

6. dixielabs

dixielabs Elite Refuge Member

:h Where's the meeting?:D

7. uokman

uokman Senior Refuge Member

I thought the limit was ALREADY 15?:D :D

8. SHOOTEMCUPPED

SHOOTEMCUPPED Senior Refuge Member

Damn... Augustus can sure fire up a crowd!!!

Wheres the petition???:l :l

9. timber71

timber71 Moderator<br>Alabama Forum

well thats a great idea and im all for it but AUGUSTUS least you dont post like AVIAN QUEST on the duck hunters forum, man when he posts its always a mile long of readin :l :l :l

come on 15 woodduck season!!:D

10. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Since I'm so conservation minded, may I propose amending it to 12 and a voluntary sign up list for a woodduck hen restraint program. Yep, a dozen DRAKE woodies sounds just about right. Floor dimmers are one of the greatest losses to mankind....right up there with lead shot, in my book.;) :D