Anchoring a portable shanty?

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by aFewduks, Jan 11, 2001.

1. aFewduks

aFewduks Senior Refuge Member

Just finished building a one man portable shanty and need a fast, easy way to hold it in the wind. I'm thinking maybe a portable drill and some stakes. I put an old pair of snow skis under it so it slides real easy. Folds down flat, sets up in seconds to 5ft. high, 3ft. wide and 6ft. long. My total cash outlay on this project was six dollars! I had all the lumber, tarp and fasteners I needed and the skis came from somebodys trash. Thinking about putting the money I saved toward a Vexilar. Krappie sold me on those in another post. Any and all suggestions on anchors would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. ndhonkerhunter

ndhonkerhunter Senior Refuge Member

Just bring a shovel and bank the house with snow. It will keep the wind out, your house warmer, and your house wont blow away. Your house should stay without an anchor unless it is very windy.

3. Krappie

Krappie Senior Refuge Member

Hi Afewduks, I'm with ndhonkerhunter on banking up the shanty with snow. Our permanent structure was a pretty heavy one and it took a couple guys, and crow bar to block it up. So blowing away wasn't a problem. What was a problem at times was not blocking up the shack enough and it froze into the ice. Now that definitely isn't fun, when you have to chisel out the runner in the ice!!!! If you plan on putting out a permanent shack make sure to put a couple of wooden blocks on each corner to raise it up from the ice. The water from the holes will "freeze it in" otherwise. We banked it up with snow to insulate and protect the holes from blowing wind(by blocking it up, it's a couple inches above the ice, so obviously you bank it up with snow to protect the holes.) Also find a location that has snow on the ice so it has a natural adhesion to it. It's also nice in which you won't slip on your @$$ when you step in and out of the shanty. This is especially true for us Wisconsin folk since we've been known to drink a few too many alcoholic beverages.he,he,he.

If it's a portable then always make someone stay in it...while you bank it up with snow. Another option would be to drill a hole half way and wedge a stick with a rope in the hole. Try to anchor it like a carnival tent. The trick would be to make sure the stick or tube was exactly the same size as the hole diameter. I hope this helps and good luck with your new shanty. I'm glad I was able to persuade you in purshasing a Vexilar. You definitely won't be disappointed.

4. aFewduks

aFewduks Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the help guys. This year we have plenty of snow on the ice but a lot of years that is not the case. Years ago we built a 3 man portable of the same style as this one. Once we set it up on slick ice on a windy day and it was all we could do to hold it still until we got in it. It had wood runners under it and didn't slide near as easy as this one. I was thinking of the need to block it up and thought about running screws through those blocks to act as cleats. This thing slides way too easy. It needs to be that way since I'll be dragging it by hand most times. In my neck of the woods you need to be mobile but most times we don't have the ice to take a snowmobile across the lake. You drive to the side of the lake you want to fish and walk out. I also fish the city water resarvoirs. These are above ground impoundments that can be very windy with little or no snow on the ice. When you unfold a light weight shanty out there you better have it lashed down or it could go sailing across the lake. Thanks again for the help!

[This message has been edited by aFewduks (edited 01-12-2001).]

5. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

I remember my older brother ("the Other Nevada Jim") telling me about putting out a shanty on Lake Wawasee in Northern Indiana.
    He was the only guy back then that had a Blind Heater in his shanty and he noticed that someone had gone in it, bored 2 big holes in the bench-seat across the back of the blind, then bored 2 more holes thru the ice below the holes in the bench.....AND WAS USING IT FOR A CRAPPER!!!!HAHAHAHA!
    Top that one, Nevada!!!